This is starting to feel like a regular feature…
- Pitchers and catchers reported to Spring Training earlier this week, and today is the reporting date for everyone else – though most Cubs are already in camp. Indeed, the only players yet to report are Kosuke Fukudome, Aramis Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano, Starlin Castro and Max Ramirez.
- The complete list of positional players in Spring Training this year are infielders Jeff Baker, Darwin Barney, Starlin Castro, Blake DeWitt, Scott Moore, Augie Ojeda, Carlos Pena, Aramis Ramirez, Bobby Scales, Marquez Smith, and Josh Vitters, and outfielders James Adduci, Marlon Byrd, Matt Camp, Tyler Colvin, Kosuke Fukudome, Brett Jackson, Reed Johnson, Bryan LaHair, Luis Montanez, Fernando Perez, Brad Snyder, and Alfonso Soriano.
- Mike Quade sees a lot of room for improvement defensively, specifically calling out Starlin Castro and Blake DeWitt up the middle. He is less concerned with the outfield defense, which includes left fielder Alfonso Soriano.
- New first baseman Carlos Pena is already at work with hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo, and is thrilled to be a Cub. It’s becoming increasingly easy to see why this guy is considered such a good clubhouse presence – and increasingly difficult to see why he bounced around from team to team early in his career.
- Blake DeWitt is still under consideration for the leadoff spot, though my guess is that’s more aspirational than based on past results (as in, “it would be really nice for the rest of our lineup if DeWitt *could* leadoff”).
More From Bleacher Nation