The best thing – the only good thing – about an off day? The Cubs can’t lose to the Astros today.
- The Mets will consider moving David Wright. He’s been out for a bit with back problems, but if he comes back and is dealt this year, it won’t be to the Cubs. The only chance the Cubs would have to land Wright would be in the off-season, and even then, it’s debatable whether they should. He’ll cost a haul, he’ll make a huge salary in 2012 ($15 million), and his numbers have been on the decline.
- Speaking of trades, MLBTradeRumors put together a nice rundown of possible Cubs’ trade candidates, should they become sellers. Marlon Byrd is the only obvious omission.
- Aramis Ramirez got a few stitches yesterday after taking a hard grounder off the face (Cubs players’ faces = magnets for balls this year, apparently). He’s not expected to need a trip to the disabled list.
- Matt Garza had a successful side session yesterday, and he’ll have another one this weekend. If that goes well, he’ll start in the Cincinnati series thereafter.
- In one column, Steve Rosenbloom calls Carlos Zambrano “certifiably crazy,” “stupid,” “Thor,” over the “mental speed limit,” “idiot” (twice), and “village idiot.” Seems a tad unprofessional. His ultimate conclusion – that Tom Ricketts might be asleep at the organizational wheel – is fair, however.
- Ryne Sandberg felt it was necessary to leave the Cubs’ organization if he was going to get a chance to coach/manage in the big leagues. It also appears increasingly likely that he was never seriously considered for the Cubs’ managerial opening. Given how things have played out, that’s probably a good thing.
- Carlos Zambrano didn’t just break a bat over his knee the other day – he also broke Tony Campana:
Bleacher Nation is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Need more baseball goodness? Check out BN Baseball - Videos, Plays, and Other Baseball Fun.