The 2011 First Year Player Draft wraps up today with rounds 31 through 50, starting at noon EST (11am CST). Yes, for the most part, the guys picked today will fall into one of two categories: (1) organizational filler, and (2) guys whom the Cubs have no real hope of signing.
But, occasionally, there’s a gem or two. In the 2009 draft, the Cubs took a little known pitcher in the 32nd round named Kenneth McNutt. Two years later, “Trey” McNutt is the top pitching prospect in the system, and one of the top 50 prospects in baseball. Seven rounds later, the Cubs grabbed Nick Struck, whose pitching well in AA.
Just last year, in the 41st round, the Cubs took a chance on a kid recovering from Tommy John surgery. Now, Dallas Beeler is on the fast track, already in AA at just 21 years old.
So, you’ve gotta go deep.
Feel free to use this post to comment on the later rounds of the draft (or the draft in general). Eventually, I’ll have all of today’s picks up in this post.
31. Ronnie Richardson, OF (Central Fla.)
32. Peter Levitt, RHP (Mt. Olive Col.)
33. Sheldon McDonald, LHP (U. Brit. Columbia)
34. Hunter Kelley, OF (Calhoun CC)
35. Ian Dickson, RHP (Lafayette Col.)
36. Travis Garcia, INF (Martin Meth. Col.)
37. Steven Maxwell, RHP (TCU)
38. Casey Luchese, RHP (Col. Charleston)
39. Ricky Jacquez, RHP (HS)
40. Patrick Francescon, RHP (Trevecca Nazarene)
41. Austin Urban, RHP (Des Moines Area CC)
42. Brad Zapenas, SS (Boston Col.)
43. Jay Calhoun, RHP (HS)
44. Kenny Socorro, SS (Marshall)
45. Tanner Kichler, RHP (HS)
46. Scott Weismann, RHP (Clemson)
47. David Ernst, RHP (HS)
48. Sam Howard, LHP (HS)
49. Antonio Gonzales, LHP (HS)
50. Cody Edwards, RHP (Bellevue CC)