The Cubs go for a series win today against one of the (other) worst teams in baseball. If they can’t manage it, it’s time to start rooting for the 2012 number one pick.
- Jeff Samardzjia is annoyed with himself for deflecting an 8th inning grounder that led to the winning run scoring. I would been more annoyed with the two guys I walked before that.
- Kerry Wood hasn’t pitched since June 9 because of a blister problem, and he’s still not close to returning. Some of the blisteryness has subsided, but he doesn’t have enough toughness on the finger. Mike Quade hopes maybe Wood can be back some time next week.
- The Cubs are considering keeping Chris Carpenter up with the big club even after Wood returns. Hard to say who would depart if Carpenter stayed, but it might be one of Rodrigo Lopez or John Grabow.
- Mike Quade runs down the four times the Cubs were thrown out on the basepaths on Friday.
- Interesting: “The Reds are the NL Central team making the most noise about the unfairness of being in the majors’ only six-team division.”
Bleacher Nation is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Need more baseball goodness? Check out BN Baseball - Videos, Plays, and Other Baseball Fun.