Get your grill on, get your beer on, get your fireworks on (maybe not in that order), and enjoy your Independence Day festivities. Don’t let the Cubs game at 12:05 CT interfere…
- Chris Carpenter will be sent to AAA Iowa to make room for today’s surprise starter, Casey Coleman. The young reliever will be back at some point in the future. He put up a respectable 4.05 ERA in 6.2 innings while showing flashes – just flashes – of brilliant stuff. The Cubs will have to make another move on Tuesday to add the other emergency starter, Ramon Ortiz.
- Speaking of Coleman filling in, Mike Quade said he actually was tempted to add Marcos Mateo to the rotation following his five innings of shutout work last week. Mateo was a regular starter for part of the 2009 season in AA, so it’s not like it would have been that crazy.
- Paul Sullivan concludes that Aramis Ramirez might, in fact, be the Cubs’ best option for 3B in 2012.
- Steve Stone said something nice about Cubs fans: “The stereotype of the Cub fan is that they really don’t know much about baseball. They come here for a party and whether they win or lose, it really doesn’t matter. And that is really not true. The true Cub fan in his heart wants his team to win, and they are knowledgeable baseball fans. There’s no doubt about that. Now, if they have a great time in the process, they don’t mind that. But believe me, by the boos you hear and the no-shows you see here, and the lack of tickets sold on StubHub, you’ll notice that they do care about this team and they care about winning.”
- Darwin Barney is a great guy. Prepare to have your heart strings tugged.
Keep Reading ...
« Things Just Keep Getting Worse for Cubs’ 2010 First Round Pick Hayden Simpson
| Enhanced Box Score: Cubs 4, Nationals 5 – July 4, 2011