- Mike Quade doesn’t think the team will let up in the second half. Holy God, if the current performance is them “on,” can you imagine what they’d look like if they “let up”?
- Quade says everything is back to normal with Ryan Dempster, following the pitcher’s blowup this weekend when he was removed from a game against the Pirates earlier than he would have liked.
- Speaking of the dust-up, Marlon Byrd agrees with me that it would have blown up even more had it been Carlos Zambrano. “If it had been Zambrano, it would’ve been blown up and blown out of proportion. The camera stays on Carlos. They’re waiting for him to have his next blow up. Dempster’s had blow ups, but you just haven’t seen them or hear about them. I’ve had my blow ups and you never hear about them. It happens to everybody. I guess it’s a Catch-22. If it’s Dempster, he gets a pass. If it’s Carlos Zambrano, it gets talked about more because he’s Big Z.” I sure do like Marlon Byrd.
- Andrew Cashner will begin throwing off the mound again on Tuesday in Mesa, Az. He remains a possibility for late August/early September, but he’ll be in the pen if he does come back. And, at that point, is it really worth it?
- Starlin Castro fluff here. He remains very likable, despite his mental lapses. He’s just a kid, after all.
- Ryne Sandberg is probably lucky he didn’t get the Chicago Cubs’ managerial gig this time around.
More From Bleacher Nation