A handful of notes on the 2011 Chicago Cubs draft, from which the Cubs still haven’t signed many of their top picks.
- The Cubs have signed their sixth round pick, high school catcher Neftali Rosario out of Puerto Rico. No terms have been released, but I recall reading in at least one place that he was going to be somewhat difficult to sign.
- As I mentioned early yesterday morning (and then just about everyone else reported last night), the Cubs have signed third round pick Zeke DeVoss. Not mentioned? His signing bonus, which is now reported to be $500k, or about $160k over slot.
- Jim Callis says there are “whispers” that a deal with second round pick Dan Vogelbach – a high school senior with an offer to play at Florida – is already in place. The big first baseman is expected to get an over slot bonus in the range of $1.65 million, which Callis suggests would be a pretty steep bet on Vogelbach’s power.
- With DeVoss and Rosario in the fold, the Cubs have signed eight of their first 22 picks, but just two of their top 15.
- The deadline for signing draft picks is August 15.
More From Bleacher Nation