Carlos Zambrano tries to continue the Cubs’ winning streak today, but he faces the hottest pitcher in all of baseball, Johnny Cueto. If the Cubs slap multiple homers against him today, you’ll know something strange is going on.
- Phil Rogers says the Cubs should make a move on White Sox Assistant GM Rick Hahn before the season ends if they want to land him as their next GM (he doesn’t explain precisely how the Cubs are going to land a guy under contract with another team). The reason the Cubs might wait, Rogers says, is because they want to see if they can land Brian Cashman (current Yankees’ GM, and a free agent at the end of the year).
- Carlos Marmol probably needed a rest yesterday, but, when a save opportunity presented itself, Marmol practically begged Mike Quade to put him in. Why? Marmol wanted to show the folks at Wrigley that he’s on his way back.
- Tony Campana is absurdly fast. But you knew that.
- Chris Carpenter is on the DL at AAA with a strained oblique. That’s the kind of injury that can linger for a pitcher, so you have to wonder if his presumed September call-up is in jeopardy.
- To those of you inclined to care about draft position: with the current winning streak, they’ve pulled to within a game (in, like, the reverse order kind of way) of the Padres, Mariners, and Royals. If the Cubs aren’t careful, they could be in fifth “place” before we know it.
- Carlos Zambrano couldn’t hit a few softball pitches. Chuckle.
More From Bleacher Nation