We’ll be discussing the Carlos Zambrano rumors and the latest Theo Epstein excitement later this morning. For now, bullets…
- Gordon Wittenmyer says Ryne Sandberg is expected to get “considerable attention” this Winter for a ML managerial job, so the Cubs should act fast if they want to make sure he’s part of the team next year. I’m not sure I agree that Sandberg will be so desired that the Cubs will lose their shot if they don’t act immediately – recall, just last Winter, no team save the Cubs extended Sandberg so much as an interview request. Does one more successful year at AAA change things that dramatically? Maybe. I think the biggest competition the Cubs will face for Sandberg – should they decide to pursue him – will be from the Phillies, who would like to put him on the big league staff, as a possible replacement-in-waiting for Charlie Manuel.
- Playoff update: The Tigers/Yankees, Rays/Rangers, and Cardinals/Philies series are all tied at 1-1. The Brewers are up 2-0 on the Diamondbacks, which, although I don’t much care for the Brewers, is just fine with me. The Cubs’ 2007 sweep at the hands of the Diamondbacks is still a source of chagrin.
- Paul Sullivan discusses the state of flux in the Cubs’ organization while they wait to settle the GM question.
- Wow, Marlon Byrd has a crazy, dedicated offseason plan to keep his body in shape.
- Brad Snyder, a great AAA outfielder who could never quite do it in the bigs with the Cubs, is now a free agent. He could theoretically return on another minor league deal, but he’ll probably move on to another organization or to another country.
- Keeping the lights on: maybe you want to do a little gaming with respect to the playoffs? If so, try sports betting at TopBet.
- For those who enjoyed BN user Dave’s dastardly plan for instilling Cub fandom (and Cardinal hate) in his young son, he’s also written about Cardinal fans on the Message Board.