Shortly after sexual assault allegations against Chicago Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro surfaced on Friday, it became fair to wonder whether Castro, who figured to be a centerpiece at this year’s Cubs Convention, would even be attending the Convention at all. It was fair to wonder that, irrespective of the truth or falsity of the allegations, which stem from a reported incident last September.
At last check, Castro, who is currently in the Dominican Republic, where he lives in the offseason, was still expected to come to Chicago this weekend for the Cubs Convention.
Moreover, Castro, who has not been charged with a crime, is expected to be interviewed by police when he returns to the States. The police reportedly asked for the interview on Friday night, after a media frenzy earlier in the day. Until the report of the allegations broke on Friday, Castro’s attorney says the police – who have been aware of the report since September – had not requested an interview. Castro’s attorneys said they would arrange the interview as soon as possible.
The allegations against Castro are very serious, and should not be summarily dismissed by any of us. Relatedly, the truth or falsity of the allegations should not be presumed by any of us. Right now, we know nothing about the substance of the allegations. I reiterate my caution that you should not take this additional information to mean anything more than it is. But, because it is factual information, relevant to an important issue facing the Cubs and a Cubs player, I thought it worth providing the update.