Counting Saturday’s contest, Javier Baez has a ten game hitting streak that dates back to July 4th. Over that span Baez has hit .421/.436/.816 with four home runs and five stolen bases. Critics will no doubt point out that that he did not draw a single walk in that span, but personally I am OK with that when guy is hitting over .420.
Despite this hot streak, I would still be very surprised if the Cubs moved him up the farm system any time soon. There is absolutely no point in rushing him. He may get a taste of Daytona late in the year, but I do not expect any promotions other than that.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – This game was over in the second inning. Iowa lost 7-1.
Tennessee – Tennessee scored four times on five hits in their 4-2 win.
Daytona – The Cubs suffered another late inning collapse by the bullpen. This time it led to a 9-6 loss
Peoria – Peoria scored in the bottom of the tenth to win 9-8.
Boise – Boise scored early and coasted to an easy 9-3 win.
Arizona – The AZL Cubs won in a blowout, 13-3.
Performances of the Day
- [Iowa] Casey Coleman pitched 5.1 innings of 3 hit baseball in relief of Randy Wells. The downside is that he had to pitch so much out of the bullpen because Wells survived for just five outs as the starter.
- [Tennessee] Dae-Eun Rhee struck out six over five innings. That was good enough for his sixth win.
- [Tennessee] The bullpen was very impressive. Tony Zych and Marcus Hatley each struck out three in two innings.
- [Tennessee] Michael Burgess hammered his tenth home run, but the biggest blow came from Juan Apodaca. The catcher’s three run homer put the Smokies ahead for good.
- [Daytona] Dustin Harrington, usually an infielder, recorded the final two outs.
- [Daytona] Ronald Torreyes is doing his best to make up for his slow start to the season. After this three hit game his season average is up to .246.
- [Daytons] Catcher Rafael Lopez came up from Peoria a few days ago, and through three games he is having no trouble at all. His double in this game marked his first High A extra base hit.
- [Peoria] Austin Reed and Yao-Lin Wang combined to allow no runs over the final three innings.
- [Peoria] Javier Baez took his hitting streak to ten games with his eighth home run, his third triple, and his 16th steal as part of a three hit game.
- [Peoria] There were plenty of extra base hits for the Chiefs. In addition to Baez, Paul Hoilman and Pin-Chieh Chen both tripled. Zeke DeVoss and Taiwan Easterling each hit a double.
- [Boise] Trey Martin homered (his second) and tripled (his first) for the Hawks.
- [Boise] Gioskar Amaya hit another triple (his sixth) as part of a two hit game. His double play partner Marco Hernandez also had two hits, both doubles.
- [Arizona] 2012 draftee Paul Blackburn has made his professional debut. He pitched the first inning and gave up a solo home run.
- [Arizona] Justin Amlung then came in and pitched two hitless innings in which he struck out two.
- [Arizona] He was followed by Carlos Martinez-Pumarino who allowed one hit in three innings while striking out four.
- [Arizona] The Cubs had 18 hits as a team. The most prominent lines are listed below.
- Timothy Saunders : 4 for 6, Home run (his third), Double (his fifth), Five RBI.
- Jacob Rogers : 3 for 5, Triple (his first).
- Daniel Lockhart : 3 for 5, Double (his fourth), Walk.
- Daniel Vogelbach : 2 for 5, Double (his 11th), Four RBI (he now has 26 in 17 games).
- Shawon Dunston : 2 for 5, Walk.
- Garrett Schlect : 2 for 4, Walk.
Farm System Standings
AAA – Iowa Cubs : 39 – 55.
Pacific Coast League American Northern Division – Third Place: 19.0 Games Behind.
AA – Tennessee Smokies : 12-11
Southern League North Division – Third Place : 1.5 Games Behind
High A – Daytona Cubs : 10-13
Florida State League North Division – Foourth Place : 4.0 Games Behind
Low A – Peoria Chiefs : 9-13
Midwest League Eastern Division – Fourth Place : 3.0 Game Behind
Short-Season A – Boise Hawks : 10 – 19
Northwest League East Division – Third Place : 8.0 Games Behind
Rookie League – AZL Cubs : 15 – 5
Arizona Rookie League East – First Place (tie) : 0.0 Games Ahead