It was a largely uneventful off-day for the Cubs, who come back to Wrigley Field today to host the Cardinals.
- Today’s game is a tribute to Ron Santo, which should be pretty awesome. On the heels of an ugly week for Cubs fans, it will be nice to come together about something we can all get behind: honoring and remembering Ron Santo, who this past weekend finally reached the Hall of Fame. More on the Santo celebration and tribute here. Speaking of that Santo tribute, the Cubs have had a special “10” placed in the grass for this weekend’s series, and here’s a picture tweeted by the Cubs:
- Jon Greenberg and Melissa Isaacson take opposing viewpoints on whether the Ryan Dempster Saga has damaged his reputation in Chicago. You might think the answer is an obvious and resounding “yes,” but, according to the poll that’s attached to the article, the answer is actually a solidly majority “no.”
- Yesterday, the Cubs outrighted pitcher Jairo Asenscio to AAA Iowa. The reliever, whom the Cubs picked up on waivers from the Indians earlier this year, was designed for assignment last week to make room for Justin Germano. He must have cleared waivers this time around.
- Anthony Rizzo says he’s all about not getting too high, and not getting too low. Pitchers are adjusting to him, but he’s got to simultaneously adjust right back, but also stick with what works for him.
- I was once again on the Midway Madness podcast, discussing all things Cubs rumors. You’ll have to ignore any Dempster-related bits, because things have almost certainly changed dramatically since that was recorded … you know, yesterday.
- John Sickels revisits his pre-season top 20 (or so) Cubs prospects, and looks in on how they’re doing. There have been some pleasant surprises, but, for the most part, the disappointments outweigh the successes, especially on the pitching side.
- A nice piece on Cubs’ pitching prospect Austin Reed, who just happens to be the brother of White Sox closer Addison Reed.
- The MLBullets at BCB look at Jerry Reinsdorf’s recent comments about contraction. He’d like to dump two teams, though he won’t say which ones.
More From Bleacher Nation