I had the privilege of attending the Chicago Cubs’ first Social Media Night earlier this year – the Cubs’ first official foray into the strong and wide Internet culture that has developed surrounding the team in the last 10 years – which was a great deal of fun. I met with a number of other Cubs bloggers, as well as a (small) handful of Cubs personnel. I also got a pretty sweet shirt that I actually wear regularly. (It says “Follower” on the back, which, for me, serves as both a social media nod and a kind of ironic hipster twist of the kind I couldn’t possibly pull off if it weren’t printed on a Chicago Cubs t-shirt.) The second Social Media Night comes with a shirt, as well, which you can see there to the right.
Unfortunately the travel budget for the year is exhausted, and I won’t be able to make the trip this time around. But, if you’re going to be in town and you’re looking for something fun to do on Monday, assuming it’s anything like the last time, I’d recommend the event.
The official bulleted deets from the Cubs:
- Tickets are just $17 (before taxes and fees) for a special event ticket in the Budweiser Bleachers. Designated Social Media Night 2 tickets must be purchased at www.cubs.com/specialevents.
- Each attendee receives an exclusive Cubs Social Media Night Shirt with the winning design chosen by fans.
- Guests have access to a pregame social event at Captain Morgan Club, featuring live interactive broadcasts of Comcast SportsNet’s “Chicago Tribune Live” from 5:30-6:30 p.m. and “Cubs Pregame Live” from 6:30-7 p.m. Attendees can submit questions to be answered on the show using the #CubsSocial2 hashtag on Twitter.
- One lucky attendee will be selected to throw a first pitch before that night’s game (must be present at Captain Morgan Club for the drawing).
- A dozen fans will win an upgrade to an all-inclusive suite courtesy of Levy Restaurants. Six pairs of tickets will be given away at the pregame social event at Captain Morgan Club (must be present at Captain Morgan Club for the drawing).
- Other prizes will be given away throughout the evening to game attendees, such as game-used Cubs Authentics memorabilia.
- Levy Restaurants will serve a #CubsSocial2 specialty hot dog exclusively for the Sept. 17 game at Wrigley Field’s “Bleacher Bums” and “The Works Loaded Dogs” locations. This footlong hot dog—a Truffle Mac and Cheese Dog—was selected by Cubs social media followers leading up to the event.
- Leading up to Social Media Night 2, fans can enter the Cubs Pinterest Contest for the opportunity to win a base and memorabilia actually used in the Sept. 17 Cubs vs. Pirates game. Participants may enter at the link below before Friday, Sept. 14 at 2 p.m. CDT. http://mlb.mlb.com/chc/social/sweeps/y2012/smn_pinterest/smn_pinterest.jsp?