The playoffs start today with the Wild Card round. The Braves and Cards square off at 4pm CT on TBS, and the O’s and Rangers go at 7:30pm CT, also on TBS. Your rooting interests are as follows: Braves, Braves, Braves, Braves, O’s, Braves, Braves, Braves. Also: Braves.
- So, the Diamondbacks have booted broadcasters Mark Grace and Daron Sutton, and they’re making no secret about their desire to bring in Bob Brenly, among other possible candidates. Brenly, you’ll recall, is a “free agent,” who has said he’d like to return next year with Len Kasper (and most fans would agree: it’s a good pair that we’d like to see return), but he might be intrigued by the opportunity to return to Arizona, where he won a World Series as a manager. The fact that the Cubs’ television contract with WGN expires after 2014 could also be an issue (though, if Brenly sticks with the Cubs for another two years, I doubt they’re going to let a broadcast transition, if one takes place, get in the way of the guy they want offering color). Brenly would be doing himself a disservice if he didn’t hear what the D-Backs had to say, and we’ll just have to hope he ultimately prefers to stick with the Cubs … even though it has to have been brutally difficult to do the job over the last four years.
- A few scalpers around Wrigley Field got popped for selling tickets near an amusement park without a valid broker’s license (you know, scalping) on the final day of the season, when tickets were selling on StubHub for $1. That’s pretty harsh, bro.
- The Cubs helped present some grants and scholarships this week. Good for them.
- The Red Sox have fired Bobby Valentine, and plan to ask the Blue Jays for permission to interview their manager, John Farrell. I’m sure the Red Sox are standing ready to give up significant compensation for a mere lateral move like that, right?
- The MLBullets at BCB look at the playoffs, the Bobby V thing, and the Bob Brenly thing. Fair bit of overlap today.
- If I say that I’m asking you this for purely hypothetical reasons, you won’t believe me, but I’ll say it anyway: if you are a podcast listener, and you’ve got a couple minutes to offer some thoughts on what you’re into or not into in that area, I’d be much obliged. Here’s a very short survey on the subject.
More From Bleacher Nation