Unsurprisingly, the Chicago Cubs’ restructuring efforts continue, even a year after Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer, and Jason McLeod were brought in to head up the Cubs’ redevelopment efforts. Today, in addition to announcing changes in the front office and on the coaching staff, the Cubs announced a number of changes on the amateur side of the organization (and on the pro scouting side), including a number of new hires and promotions.
From the official press release (which includes some names/positions about which we’d already heard):
The structures of the Cubs player development and scouting departments are now as follows:
- Brandon Hyde, Director of Player Development.
- Tim Cossins, Field Coordinator. Cossins joins the Cubs from the Marlins organization.
- Alex Suarez, Assistant Director of Player Development/International Scouting. For Suarez, this is a promotion from coordinator of player development/international scouting.
- David Macias, Player Development/International Scouting Assistant. Macias was an outfielder in the Cubs minor league system from 2008-11.
- Jaron Madison, Director of Amateur Scouting.
- Lukas McKnight, Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting. For McKnight, this is a promotion from regional crosschecker.
- Shane Farrell, Amateur Scouting Assistant. Farrell pitched for Marshall University from 2008-11 and scouted the Cape Cod League last summer.
Additionally, the Cubs have hired Chris Clemons, JP Davis and Alex Lontayo as new area scouts, while Mark Adair is now a regional crosschecker after previously serving as a pro scout.
- Louie Eljaua, Special Assistant to the General Manager/Director of International Scouting.
- Alex Suarez, Assistant Director of Player Development/International Scouting.
- David Macias, Player Development/International Scouting Assistant.
- Paul Weaver, International Scouting crosschecker, coordinator of Pacific Rim Scouting.
- Joe Bohringer, Director of Pro Scouting.
- Andrew Bassett, Pro Scouting Coordinator. For Bassett, this is a promotion from baseball operations assistant.
Additionally, the Cubs have promoted Jake Ciarrachi to pro scout (from pro scouting coordinator) and hired the following new pro scouts: Steve Boros, Terry Kennedy and Mark Kiefer. Denny Henderson and Steve Hinton have moved to pro scouting from amateur scouting. The Cubs have also hired Jason Karegeannes and Brad Kullman as major league scouts, joining Dave Littlefield (special assistant to the GM/major league scout).
Onward and upward, presumably.