This is where I write the morning Bullets like we’re not all waiting on one very particular piece of news to come down. I should add that, this afternoon The Little Girl is having a holiday concert at her school/daycare. She is “singing” and “dancing” in a show at the concert, which I would not miss for the world. So if it gets to be 3pm-ish CT, and we’re all still waiting on news, but I suddenly disappear – that’s where I am. Pre-apologies, if necessary.
- On that piece of news on which we’re all waiting, Patrick Mooney last night wrote about whether Anibal Sanchez is a good fit for the Cubs right now. He doesn’t draw any conclusions, noting only that Sanchez checks off a lot of the boxes the front office was looking for, and could be a sound investment. Ultimately, that’s the key for Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer: the question is not one of “big” contracts or “star” players. They will sign guys they feel like are good investments. And, as I’ve said: even if the Cubs don’t expect to be competitive in 2013, Sanchez helps in 2014 and beyond. And he’s only available right now.
- New Cubs reliever Kyuji Fujikawa comes to the Cubs’ curse fresh off a curse in Japan – the Curse of the Colonel. Apparently, after winning the championship in 1985 (pfft, that ain’t a curse … ), rowdy Hanshin fans tossed a statue of Colonel – the KFC guy – into a nearby river.
- A nice profile on Cubs prospect Barrett Loux. He is, incidentally, good friends with Brooks Raley, a former teammate at Texas A&M.
- 2012 third rounder Ryan McNeil is one of the Cubs’ many good, but very young, pitching prospects. He dominated rookie ball in his professional debut last year, and expects to pitch for short season Boise next year. He talks here about his adjustment to professional baseball … and post-high school life. Always worth remembering how much these young kids are asked to adjust to in a short time.
- The MLBullets at BCB look at the Josh Hamilton signing reactions, which have been largely negative. There are just so many red flags, and he wasn’t a great fit for the Angels to begin with.
- I guested on the Nothing But Net podcast last week, and you can check it out here.
- Yesterday was a super busy one, and that was BEFORE Sanchez mania broke out, largely thanks to Josh Hamilton signing out of the blue. In case you missed anything: the Cubs DFA’d Jeff Beliveau, the Red Sox signed Ryan Dempster, the Cubs are in on reliever Mike Adams, the Cubs have very tough decisions to make on Matt Garza, Greg Rohan and Jose Rosario were profiled, and you are casually reminded again about the BN Podcast, which you should be listening to.
- If you’re nutso on the Sanchez stuff, you’re going to want to make sure you’re following BN on Twitter, and “liking” it on Facebook. Or you could just keep refreshing BN like mad, which is what you’ll probably do anyway.
More From Bleacher Nation