Sorry to the Bears fans among you, who had to suffer through a nightmarish slide in the second half of the season, only to see the team win yesterday with a chance to still make the playoffs … and the Vikings and Packers conspired to doom that chance.
- The Tribune Company is set to exit bankruptcy today, four years after initial entering bankruptcy (out of which the Cubs were sold). That may seem like it has no relevance to the Cubs, but it does in at least a couple ways: (1) TribCo still owns about 5% of the Cubs, and (2) TribCo owns WGN, and their ability work with contracts could change once they are out of bankruptcy (which is to say, they may have more freedom). Indeed, some analysts believe the Tribune Company will sell of many of its newspaper business in order to focus on television. What that will mean for Cubs broadcasts – recall, the Cubs’ agreement with WGN for about half of their games runs through 2014 – remains to be seen in the new year.
- The Dominican Winter League is in the playoffs, and Junior Lake is still hitting well (3 for 7 in his last two games), and he’s played left field the last two games. He’s also been hitting third for Estrellas, which further indicates just how well he’s been playing down there. It would be nice to see him put up some huge numbers at Iowa to start out 2013, while playing defensively all over the field, and maybe give the Cubs some options in the second half.
- Curtis Hubertz, who essentially invented the iconic scoreboard at Wrigley Field, passed away recently at 93. BCB has a nice write-up.
- Over on the Message Board, BN’er Oswego Chris has the ten Cubs New Year’s resolutions.
- The MLBullets at BCB look at some comments by Torii Hunter about being “uncomfortable” with having a gay teammate. Kind of sucks for any gay teammates he might have, who probably don’t need yet another reason to feel like they have to lie or hide.
- Relatedly, that was my last MLBullets for BCB. It was an enjoyable experience, and we parted on amicable terms, as the expression goes – it was an end of the year kind of thing. The feature is going to live on over there, and I might in the future start covering a little more MLB-wide stuff here at BN (in a round-up form, not, like, in-depth (this is still a Cubs site)).
- My Cubs-related resolution for 2013: I will not get irrationally hopeful in mid-April when the Cubs are “only” three games under .500. Anyone have any you’d like to share?