Quantcast

cactusMLB Network has released its Spring Training broadcast schedule, and you can now add five more Chicago Cubs games to your television viewing plans for this Spring. The schedule, which is available here, lists the following Cubs games for broadcast on the MLBN cable channel, subject to local blackouts (times are CT):

• Mon., March 4 8:30 a.m. Chicago Cubs Split Squad @ Los Angeles Angels
  • Sat., March 16 – LIVE 3:00 p.m. Texas Rangers Split Squad @ Chicago Cubs Split Squad
  • Sun., March 17 8:00 a.m. Kansas City Royals @ Chicago Cubs Split Squad (game is LIVE on WGN-TV)
  • Fri., March 22 12:00 a.m. Chicago Cubs Split Squad @ Seattle Mariners
  • Mon., March 25 6:00 a.m. Chicago Cubs @ Cleveland Indians
  • Tue., March 26 6:00 a.m. San Francisco Giants @ Chicago Cubs (game is LIVE on CSN)
  • Thu., March 28 1:00 a.m. Chicago Cubs @ Kansas City Royals Split Squad
  • Fri., March 29 6:00 a.m. Seattle Mariners @ Chicago Cubs (game is LIVE on CSN)

Now, what you’ve noticed is that only one of those games is being broadcast live. The other seven are rebroadcasts (sometimes at odd hours). It isn’t great, but it’s better than no video at all. If nothing else, it will give you the opportunity to see some of the prospects you might not otherwise get to see for a while.

In total, then, you’ll have seven live televised games, and seven rebroadcast games (with a little overlap between the two). Every game (except for one split-squad game) is available via either video or audio live (and the one game that is is that March 4 rebroadcast), so you don’t have to miss out on anything.

• cjdubbya

Cool. I’ll be at two of those games. Thinking I need to score my Bleacher Nation T-shirts before my trip?

• http://www.bleachernation.com Brett

• cub2014

BRETT did you see the article (I believe today) on yardbarker.com
        at foxsports.com its titled “campana, the one that got away” he
        compares age and numbers of campana to lou brock. makes
        the point in a rebuilding year why not see what campana is
        capable of in a full season. Thats what I have been saying all
        winter but alas, FO disagrees!!!!!

• http://www.bleachernation.com Brett

I didn’t see it – and, from the sound of it, I probably don’t need to.

• cub2014

thats kind of narrow-minded, so your lucky I will summarize for you:
            lou brock traded age 25 hit .257 50 sb caught stealing 20
            tony campana age 26 hit .264 54 sb caught stealing 4 times……

• JulioZuleta

Keep in mind the majority of those steals were as a pinch runner…Someone else got on base for him. You can’t steal first.

Also: Either yardbarker or you should do some editing. Brock as a 25 year old was : 30 2B, 11 3B. 14 HR, 48 SB .315 BA, .358 OBP, 123OPS+ and finished 10th in NL MVP.
              Campana at 26: 6 2B. 0 3B, 0 HR, 30 SB, .264 BA, .308 OBP, 68 OPS +

Damn, I can’t believe we let the second coming of Lou Brock get away. I’d rather have Brock play CF for the Cubs in 2013 (at age 73) than Campana at 27.

• http://www.bleachernation.com Brett

Even before the season in which Brock was traded, he’d put up a .258/.307/.392 line over 1077 big league plate appearances at ages 22, 23, and 24. Campana has a .262/.306/.300 in just 347 big league plate appearances at ages 25 and 26.

The two players, even before Brock’s career took off, are completely incomparable. It’s actually a disservice to Campana to perpetuate the comparison, because it makes him look even worse.

• cub2014

I think the guy was making the point that you dont know what you have with campana and its a rebuilding year anyway. i was not implying Campana is the next brock but numbers (excluding slugging) were similiar at same age. campana is either faster or better bases stealer
                at same age based on numbers

• Cubbie Blues

Brock’s numbers were massively better during their age 25 season. The problem with Campana is we *do* know what we have in him. Someone who is very very fast with outfield grass power.

• cub2014

i agee the power is probably worst in MLB and speed is the best in MLB

• Cubbie Blues

Well, if you can’t get it past the drawn in infielders you may have a problem getting on base.

• Cubbie Blues

Age 25 season
              Lou Brock wRC+ 126 SLG .464 OBP .358 WAR 5.0
              Campana wRC+ 65 SLG .299 OBP .308 WAR 0.6

Yup they are almost identical players. I wonder why nobody has ever seen that before.

• cub2014

cubbie blue .464 was slugging
                obp was .300 those numbers are identical to
                campana. but I never said he is the next
                Lou Brock I said who knows what he could be.

• Cubbie Blues

I said .464 was slugging.
                  In 1964 when Brock was 25 his OBP was .358

• cub2014

Cubbie Blue; ok I miss read your prefix location.
                    But the comparison was at the time of the trade
                    which is the point that was being made.
                    again campana might turn out to be what
                    he is now, but in a rebuilding year why not
                    find out, what do you have to loose besides
                    games? which we are going to loose this
                    year anyway.

• Cubbie Blues

He is going to be 27 this year. It’s not as if he is all of a sudden get power now. Then there is the defense. He doesn’t read the ball well off the ball, he doesn’t take good routes and might have the worst arm in the Majors.

• Hansman1982

At the same age Lou Brock was a MUCH better ball player.

Lets put it this way, Campana has soooo little power that Yadier Molina has more triples in a season than him.

Yadier Freekin “I’d run faster backwards” Molina

Lou Brock, in his most campana esque season (his last (partial) season with the cubs (and his .641 OPS) had 2 triples and 2 HR.

Campana should never ever never ever ever never never ever be compared to Brock, not even jokingly.

• cub2014

I guess its all irrelevant at this point. his
                      story will be written somewhere else.
                      hopefully Jackson will come on if not
                      maybe Almora in a few years. As usual
                      or leadoff position will be shit, unless
                      something surprising happens. nothing
                      against DeJesus but he is a #8 hitter and
                      the Cubs already have a couple of those.

• DocPeterWimsey

DeJesus had the highest OBP of NL leadoff batters last year. OBP is the only stat of importance for a leadoff batter, so that suggests he’s a lot better than a #8 hitter.

• TWC

You want to re-read what Cubbie Blues wrote and maybe edit your comment, kid?

• cub2014

Ya thanks pops!

• DarthHater

And monkeys could fly out of my butt! Who knows???

• TWC

Pictures please.

Wait. Nevermind that.

• MightyBear

Did that monkey just come out of your crack, man?

• DarthHater

[img]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/34910007.jpg[/img]

• Edwin

The other point is that Lou Brock is the exception, not the rule. Also, Lou Brock was much closer to being a league average hitter (wRC+ 90, 91 for the Cubs) than Campana has been (63, 65). Brock played in a pitcher’s era. Why not? Because the Cubs have better things to do than waste money on a one skill OF with very little future.

• JulioZuleta

When he was 1 year younger Lou Brock was the 10th best played in the NL. Campana was probably the 33rd best player in a bad organization. The Campana love is just ridiculous.

• cubchymyst

The article that compares Tony Campana to Lou Brock looses all credibility in the first paragraph when it states “repeating some of baseballs greatest mistakes when they allowed other former Cubs legends such as Greg Maddux and Tyler Colvin go.”

• Cubbie Blues

Ha! That is comical. The only thing legendary about Colvin as a Cub was getting impaled and that was more infamous than anything.

• cubchymyst

Finished reading the article about Campana and Brock “A Tale of Two Legends”, it is written as a joke. But the Guy that wrote “To Campana, the one that got away” uses it like it is not a joke and is serious Campana letting go being a mistake.

• DocPeterWimsey

No, it was being prescient: we all knew that the comparison would trot out irrelevant stats like BA and stolen bases. Neither does much to create runs, after all.

The important numbers, OBP and slugging, tell a very different story. Brock was not a brilliant OBP guy, but remember that the strike zone was much bigger then AND people had this goofy idea that leadoff men should put the first pitch into play to avoid striking out. Still, his walk rate was better than Campana’s, and thus even more valuable because walk rates were lower then.

The huge difference was the slugging. Brock had pretty good power: remember he homered to CF in the Polo Grounds. (I think that Hank Aaron did it in the same week, which was amazing because it happened only 2 other times.) Brock showed good slugging as a 23 and 24 year old with the Cubs: not just HR, but lots of doubles and triples. Brock managed an OPS of 0.821 in his age 25 season. Campana will never do that.

But here is what should really show you how useless those numbers are. Brock’s ability to score runs (Runs/PA) was essentially random with respect to how many bases he stole, and actually *negatively* correlated with his SB/times on base. It was most heavily correlated with his isolated power for any one year. So, what helped Brock score more runs was something that Campana will never have: and what Campana has actually didn’t help Brock score anywhere near as many runs as people think.

• cub2014

OK Doc’
                Are we not apprehending my point. I am not in this
                argument comparing brocks career to campana’s
                its not possible!!!!!!

But lets dont talk about Brocks power for a career
                he averaged 8/hr per year. Campana will average
                1 per year if he is lucky. So those are irrelevant what
                they were comparing were the numbers at the time of
                the trade and AGAIN is it a rebuilding year?

• cub2014

comprehending

• cubchymyst

The initial article the Compared Campana to Lou Brock was a joke. The headline was a joke. At the end of the article he states that Campana is not Lou Brock. The guy that wrong the to campana article used it out of context. Soto, Stewart, and Jeff Baker all had more triples that Campana did last year. Campanas lack of power lets the infield play so far in that his bunts are almost useless.

• Hansman1982

When Brock was traded, he Ha the worst line of his career at .251/.3.300/.340

The first two of those are identical to campana. The slugging is something that campana will never ever never ever never never come close to.

Campana will be lucky to average a home run per decade. The only reason he has 1 is because yonder Alonso is a pathetic LF and the ball took a weird ass bounce off the side wall

• Edwin

Just because it is a “rebuilding” year doesn’t make it a good move. The Cubs only have so many roster spots, and they’re trying to allocate their resources as best they can (except with Lillibridge. Dude sucks, I have no idea what they actually see in him that they couldn’t get from someone else).

The odds that Campana becomes a decent starting CF option for the Cubs are slim, so slim that it makes more sense for the Cubs to move on and spend their money/roster spot on someone else. The more money/time the Cubs waste on a player like Campana, the longer it takes to rebuild.

• DocPeterWimsey

Of course I comprehend your post. I was pointing out that you didn’t understand that BA and SB were not what made Lou Brock a great ballplayer.

And how can HR be “irrelevant”? The *single* biggest correlate of winning is how many more HR your team hits than your team’s pitchers allow. There is zero correlation between how many more bases you steal and winning.

• Cubbie Blues

“And how can HR be “irrelevant”?”
                    Easy, it doesn’t fit the argument. Ignore the man behind the curtain.

• hansman1982

but DISTRACTED PITCHERS!!!!!

Nevermind that there is 0 evidence of a good base stealer causing a higher anything for the next batter.

• Cubbie Blues

Unless that next batter is Aramis Ramirez. Then he wouldn’t be able to hit into a double play.

• Cubbie Blues

Oops, forgot :D

• DarthHater

[img]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/34910504.jpg[/img]

• TWC

Well, that one’s worth saving for future use.

• hansman1982

Bravo good sir.

• Hansman1982

Pfft who needs shirts when you have banana hammocks.

Speaking of, Brett, has there been any of those ordered so far?

• http://www.bleachernation.com Brett

Yes. One. Last year at some point.

• TWC

And I still wish the buyer would quit being anonymous.

• Chris

Actually, the game with no broadcast on the Cubs side is being shown on MLB Network on a tape delay on March 4. So, all the games at some point will be on TV or radio.

• http://www.bleachernation.com Brett

Excellent catch.

• Justen

for what its worth if you get the mlb.tv package that includes the spring training games you would be able to watch them live and i think there may be a few additional ones in there that are not going to be shown on TV. that is the only way i get to watch the games so i had already purchased this a few weeks ago, thats how i know.

• http://www.bleachernation.com Brett

Thanks for the tip, Justen.

• TWC

Just the tip?

/Archer

• Cubbie Blues

It’s going to be one of those days isn’t it?

• Ron

Ha!

• http://www.justinjabs.com/blog/ justinjabs

I still need to see Season 3 and beyond.

• TWC

Right. Stupid Netflix and their stupid slow adding of shows.

Danger Zone!

• Seth

Quick question Justen. Did you buy the MLB.tv premium or regular package? I’m seriously considering getting one of these packages, I am soon to move to Denver from Illinois and I’ve always wanted to try it out but couldn’t because of the blackouts.

• Justen

I bought the premium package so that I could use my Xbox and PS3 to watch the games. You can always just get the regular package but then you can only use your computer but if you have a PC cord you can hook up your laptop to the TV also. Getting the string training games was a bonus to the premium package as well. Cost was $129 for the premium and then I also added the MiLB package for $20 so you can watch minor league games as well.

• Seth

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I’m probably go with the regular package and just watch most of it off of my laptop.

• Justen

The other big bonus to the premium is you get your choice of home and away feeds. I can stand having to watch the away feeds so that has always been a big selling point for me. Overall, with the regular being $109 it is worth it to me to pay the extra $20 for the premium.

• MightyBear

I can’t stand listening to other announcers especially the Cardinal announcers. It’s worth the 20 to me so I don’t have to endure that. Plus with the premium you get access to classic games. A couple months ago I watched game 7 of the 1965 World Series where Koufax dominated the Twins. It was cool to see the after game interviews, everyone was well spoken and complimentary of the other teams and respectful of the announcers. A lot of fun on a Saturday night when I couldn’t sleep and nothing was on the 250 channels I get on tv.

• Stinky Pete

The one cardinal announcer (Shannon, I think?) reminds me of Steven Wright.

“Here comes David Freese. He’s red hot. Zzzzzzzzzzz.”

• Danny Ballgame

Mike Shannon, annoying as they come.

• Stinky Pete

Honestly, I would take the cardinal guy any day over Brantley.

• cubfanincardinalland

Shannon should be an inspiration to everyone. He is a classic example that you can find success and make money in America without any talent and sucking at what you do. And be an arrogant jackass as well. What a country!

• DocPeterWimsey

I agree that a lot of other announcers are annoying, but I always listen to one game each series on the other team’s broadcast. I find that gives me a much better idea of what general baseball people think of the Cubs.

• Stinky Pete

I really do try to listen with an open mind and understanding of how I would feel if I were a fan of the other team. All announcers get excited for good things for their team, I get that. Some tend to go on and on about it and sound too much like a guy sitting next to you on a bar stool. Also, I honestly believe Pat does a fantastic job describing the action. Other announcers will say, “There’s a high pop up…… aaaaaaand……. Weeks has it.” I think Pat paints a much better picture of what is happening on the field. I will allow that I am subconsciously being a homer, but that’s how I really see it.

• TWC

Pat Hughes and Jon Miller (SF Giants) are best radio play-by-play men currently broadcasting. I’d follow along if they read the phone book.

• Justen

I absolutely couldn’t stand having to listen to Ken Harrelson last year when the Cubs played the White Sox. I purchased the package with my cable provider last year and didn’t have the option of which feed to watch. I had to turn off the game and refuse to watch any game that Harrelson is announcing. He is absolutely the worst announcer in all of sports.

• MightyBear

I do like listening to Vin Scully when they play the Dodgers and Euchre is always a treat. Old man Brenaman with the Reds and Milo Hamilton with the Astros are/were terrible. Shannon and Harrelson should be shot. I hate Joe Buck too. A lot of people think he’s good, I think he sucks.

• Hansman1982

Wait, misreading comments about day games AND Campana to Brock comparisons.

I love the smell of lunacy in the midday.

It’s such a good feeling to be a cubs fan…

• Dustin S

They did tweak the package a bit this year. Last year you could do mlb.tv month to month. only need it for ST, so I just got it for that. I’d pay the extra for mlb.tv for the few filler games I wouldn’t otherwise get, even though I get most games through my provider. But with MLB’s blackout rules it wouldn’t add much for me. I am going to try to get the MLB gameday audio package if it’s available though. I haven’t seen much info on it this year yet. I’m hoping it’s available directly from mlb.tv or through Cubs Club.

I’m excited that the season’s around the corner, but it kind of sucks that there’s only 1 televised Cubs ST game before March 16th.

• North Side Irish

Quick video of Soler taking BP…

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs
    Savior I mean Soler is here. http://vine.co/v/brraPAgmZV6

• md8232

What, no Chimp Caray love?

Bleacher Nation Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Bleacher Nation is a private media site, and it is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago Cubs. Neither MLB nor the Chicago Cubs have endorsed, supported, directed, or participated in the creation of the content at this site, or in the creation of the site itself. It's just a media site that happens to cover the Chicago Cubs.

Bleacher Nation is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Google+