Oh, if it were the regular season …
The Cubs are now 2-0 on the Spring after taking down the WORLD CHAMPION Giants 4-3 at HoHoKam Park.
- Jeff Samardzija gave up three hits and an earned run in his first two innings of the Spring, thanks in large part to a slider he called “garbage” today – that happens to a lot of pitchers in Arizona in March, so I’m not too worried about it. He’s just working on stuff.
- Carlos Marmol issued the Cubs’ pitchers only walk on the day, which is pretty darn encouraging.
- Non-roster invitee Cory Wade got two innings of work, giving up only one unearned run. He’s one of several non-roster invitee arms that actually were recently legit bullpenners on other teams.
- Casey Coleman, Shawn Camp, James Russell and Kyuji Fujikawa each threw a scoreless frame. Camp and Fujikawa each struck out a couple.
- The Cubs’ big blast came from Dioner Navarro, who launched a three-run homer in the first.
- Alfonso Soriano had a couple hits in his two at bats – he clearly wasn’t distracted by the Yankees rumors that are inevitably swirling.
- Non-roster invitee Johermyn Chavez had a couple hits. He’s not a threat to make the roster, but he’s a guy the Cubs got on a minor league deal who could actually be an interesting borderline prospect to watch this year. He just turned 24 a few weeks ago, and has shown some flashes of – if nothing else – a really good batting eye.
More From Bleacher Nation