Remember all that stuff I said yesterday about Spring games not meaning anything? Totally wrong. Now that the Cubs are 3-1, the games totally mean something.
The Cubs took down the Rockies today at HoHoKam Park, which will have no impact on where the teams pick in the 2013 or 2014 drafts.
- Dave Sappelt answered any outfield challenge he was feeling in the last couple days with a two-hit day, including a homer. He played center field.
- Speaking of those outfield challengers, Johermyn Chavez and Darnell McDonald went hitless in three combined at bats.
- Javier Baez got a hit and stole a base off of the bench. Christian Villanueva had a homer. Neither is a threat to make the roster, but it’s still neat.
- The pitching was quality all around today. Edwin Jackson and Chris Rusin each threw two scoreless innings, Zach Putnam threw a scoreless frame, and each of Drew Carpenter and Nick Struck gave up just one earned run in two innings of work.
- Combined, the pitchers allowed just eight hits and one walk. That one walk part is really swell. If that’s four or five walks, those eight hits look a lot more troubling.
More From Bleacher Nation