Well, that was unpleasant, as far as Spring Training games go.
- Apparently there were Tigers scouts at the game today, which may be entirely meaningless, given that teams scout tons of players, for tons of reasons, and today’s scouting session very likely had absolutely nothing to do with Carlos Marmol. Or maybe I’m just trying to reassure myself after Marmol walked two and threw a wild pitch in his 0.2 innings of work.
- Starter Carlos Villanueva worked out of jams today, but he still gave up six hits in over his four innings of work (and two earned runs). At least he was in the zone the whole outing.
- Pitching prospect Barret Loux was pounded for five earned runs (including two homers) in his 1.1 innings of work.
- Zach Putnam, whom Dale Sveum has mentioned as a possibility for the bullpen, and who came to the Cubs with a nice pedigree, threw another scoreless outing. He has yet to give up an earned run this Spring.
- The Cubs’ bats were largely quiet until a 9th inning rally when the game was already out of reach. Christian Villanueva hit a two-run homer, and Javier Baez added a double in the frame.
- Jorge Soler took another walk in his lone plate appearance. He sees a lot of pitches.
More From Bleacher Nation