The most important thing is that no one was injured.
- I suppose the second most important thing is that Jeff Samardzija appears ready for the season. He went five innings and gave up just five hits (no walks) and one earned run, while striking out four. Keep it going next week, Jeff.
- Hisanori Takahashi went the next 1.2, giving up only a solo home run, and striking out three. He’s the favorite for that last bullpen spot, assuming no one is picked up this week in the flurry of transactions, and he didn’t do anything to give it away tonight.
- Speaking of giving it away … Carlos Marmol had a rough night. He gave up four hits, a walk, six runs and three earned runs in 0.0 innings pitched. Yes, he retired no one. Let’s just assume he was working on a new knuckleball or something.
- The Cubs’ bats were largely stifled by Johnny Cueto, though Dave Sappelt had two hits in the game.
- Steve Clevenger, the 25th man absent a waiver pickup, went 2-2 off the bench with a double that scored the Cubs’ only run.
- There are just two more Cactus League games left.
More From Bleacher Nation