With four teams under way now, and two more coming in June (not including the Caribbean teams), keeping up with the Cubs farm system involves keeping track of well over one hundred players. That number is about to go up substantially in June with the amateur draft, and then again to a lesser extent in July with the International Free Agent signing period. How can the average fan possibly keep up with all of that? We’re here to help.
First of all, the Daily right here on Bleacher Nation is a great place to get started. But since you’re reading this, you probably already knew that.
Second, get on Twitter. Twitter is rapidly becoming the primary place to keep a finger on the pulse of the minors. Most of the teams are on Twitter these days, as are some of the radio crews, sports writers, and even many of the minor league players themselves. Following @BleacherNation and @ltblaize would be a great place to start.
Third, pick your favorite team and listen to a game or two now and then. All minor league game radio feeds are still broadcast for free over the internet. Each day the home page for each of the minor league teams will have an “Audio” button by the box score for that day’s game, and links to all the minor league team home pages are provided for you in the Daily each morning. So, for example, if you want to listen in to the Kane County game today, just pull up the Kane County website around 11 AM Central Time and click the button. Just like that you can be listening to Dan Vogelbach, Rock Shoulders, Bijan Rademacher, and the rest of that prospect-laden lineup.
Finally, be sure to stop by the Bleacher Nation Message Boards. We have a whole section there dedicated to all that goes on in the minors. That is a great place to get any questions answered and ultimately to join a great community of Cub fans.
And just like that, you’re all set. A little Twitter here, a few radio games there, a great place like Bleacher Nation to bring it all together, and you’ll be all caught up on the minor leagues in no time.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Not a good day for Iowa. Two errors and poor pitching led to an 11-1 loss.
Tennessee – It took ten innings but ultimately Tennessee walked away the 3-2 winners.
Daytona – Daytona’s bats went suddenly silent in this 4-2 loss.
Kane County – The Cougars committed three errors on their way to this 8-4 loss.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Ian Stewart doubled and walked in this game. It was his second straight game with an extra base hit (he tripled on the 12th) and his third straight reaching base.
- [Iowa] Brian Bogusevic continues to see the ball well. He is currently sitting on 21 BB against 23 Ks. Factor in his OBP of .468 and SLG of .559 and it certainly looks like he should be getting a shot in Chicago eventually.
- [Tennessee] Christian Villanueva doubled, homered, and walked in this game. Matt Szczur also had a multi-hit game with three singles.
- [Tennessee] Mark down another successful start for Alberto Cabrera. He struck out seven in seven innings while giving a single tally on a solo home run. He only walked one.
- [Tennessee] Zach Rosscup suffered through one of his rare bad outings (2H, 1BB, 1R, 2K in 1 IP), but Frank Batista was there to pick him up with a hitless tenth.
- [Daytona] Austin Reed pitched two solid innings of relief for the Cubs, but it did not affect the outcome.
- [Daytona] The Cubs lone extra base hit was a double by Dustin Geiger. Geiger is quietly putting together a very nice season: .294/.368/.403, BB% of 9.6%, K% of 16.2%.
- [Kane County] Second baseman Gioskar Amaya turned in anther good game. He finished 1 for 2 with a run scored and two walks.
- [Kane County] Willson Contreras was 2 for 2 with his fifth home run of the season and a stolen base. After Contreras was ejected, Yaniel Cabezas went 1 for 2.
- Daytona can’t be faulted for their efficiency in this game. They scored their two runs despite having just four hits and a walk to work with. Speedsters Zeke DeVoss and John Andreoli scored the runs thanks to RBIs from Jorge Soler and Chad Noble.
More From Bleacher Nation