Tayler Scott is probably as known for being that South African kid the Cubs drafted as he is his for his abilities on the mound, but I don’t think he is a pitching prospect we should ignore. That said, his success is not the sort of success we normally expect to see from quality pitching prospects. Scott does generate some strike outs, but not many. Through 38.1 innings this season he has fanned just 23.
He has also allowed just 30 hits in those 38.1 innings, has a batting average against of only .214, and a ridiculous GO/AO of 2.30. He pitched 7.1 scoreless frames for the Cougars in yesterday’s game.
Now, can a guy with low K/9, decent H/9, and a very high GO/AO succeed as he moves up the farm system? We’ll find out. But just as importantly in the case of Scott is this question: what can former Vanderbilt pitching guru and new minor league pitching coordinator Derek Johnson do with Scott? The the raw materials are there. It will be very interesting to see how Scott looks after he adds thirty pounds to his frame and works under Johnson for a few seasons.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – The Iowa Cubs had Wednesday off.
Tennessee – The Smokies led late, but after giving up a six run eighth inning they fell 8-4.
Daytona – Daytona was never in this one. They lost it 7-1.
Kane County – Good pitching and plenty of hitting add up to a 4-0 win.
Performances of Note
- [Tennessee] Arismendy Alcantara (playing second again) finished 2 for 3. Just as importantly for him, he started one double play, turned another, and has yet to make an error at second (sample size alert).
- [Tennessee] Rubi Silva has cooled off a fair bit lately. He doubled in this game, though, and also drew a walk – just his third of the season.
- [Daytona] There were more positive signs from Javier Baez in this game. For the third time in six games he did not strike out, and in the process he went 1 for 4.
- [Daytona] Luis Liria has had a rough season, but he tossed two scoreless innings in relief of Austin Kirk. Sheldon McDonald also pitched two scoreless frames.
- [Kane County] As noted in the intro, Tayler Scott pitched an absolute gem.
- [Kane County] Bijan Rademacher, Dan Vogelbach, Willson Contreras, and Marco Hernandez all had two hits for the Cougars. Contreras included a triple in his pair of hits.
- Speaking of Contreras, this young catcher (he just turned 21) has hit a triple and two home runs in his last four games. He is destroying lefties this season (1.667 OPS (sample size alert)); he’ll need to find some consistency against right handed pitching for us to really credit him as a serious prospect, though.
More From Bleacher Nation