The Oklahoma City RedHawks are coming to Iowa today. And in a lot of ways, the game is secondary.
The Iowa Cubs are holding a silent auction before and during the game with all proceeds going to Oklahoma City Red Cross, and I only wish they were doing it online so all of us could get in on the action. The gates open at 5:35 PM, so show up early, bid high, and give the RedHawks the warmest possible welcome.
And then watch the Cubs take the field against one of the best teams in the Pacific Coast League. The Tennessee Smokies are also going to raise some money for those in Oklahoma.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Iowa came out on top in a 4-0 shut out.
Tennessee – Tennessee also won a shutout. The final in this one was 2-0.
Daytona – Daytona did not win. They didn’t play in a shutout either. The Cubs rallied late, but lost it 8-4.
Kane County – The Cougars blew an early lead, but it took 14 innings for them to be dealt a 9-8 loss.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Logan Watkins broke out with a home run as part of his two hit game. The only other extra base hit for the Cubs came off the bat of…
- [Iowa] Chris Rusin, who pitched a six inning shutout. With the wind blowing in at 16 MPH he gave up just 6 H and 2 BB while striking out 4.
- [Tennessee] Arismendy Alcantara homered (his 6th) and walked twice in this one. And if that weren’t enough, he also stole his 14th base. His May OPS is up to .836.
- [Tennessee] I hope a lot of you took in the Peanut Free night at Smokies Park, because if you did you got to see another very good start by Kyle Hendricks. 7 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 7 K. That’s a beautiful line.
- [Daytona] John Andreoli tripled and scored twice on his way to a three hit game.
- [Daytona] Jorge Soler doubled and had one of the Cubs’ three walks.
- [Kane County] Albert Almora strikes again. He hit two more doubles on his way to a 4 for 7 day. He also was credited with his first caught stealing. Hey, no one is perfect.
- [Kane County] Third baseman Jeimer Candelario also had a nice night. He doubled, had four RBI, and finished 2 for 7.
- [Kane County] Cougar pitching struck out 20 in this game. Dillon Maples (3.2 IP) had 4. Lendy Castillo (5.1 IP) has 9. Jeffry Antigua (2 IP) accounted for 4, and Justin Amlung (2.1 IP) had the final 3.
- If you weren’t paying attention to the Kane County game last night, you missed a great game. Don’t forget that you can listen to any and all of the minor league games for free. A link will appear on the team’s website at game time each day, and links to all the homepages of all the Cubs minor league teams are provided in every edition of the Minor League Daily.
- Speaking of minor league games, you can hop on Twitter and join the minor league conversation yourself. There is an ever growing community of minor league fans on the internet these days, and sometime the Cub prospects even chime in themselves.