I mentioned in an earlier column that the Hawks are one of the best covered teams in the organization thanks in no small part to the multi-platform talents of radio man Mike Safford. Safford has come through for us again on his blog, this time with video of the Cubs’ somewhat surprising third round pick Jacob Hannemann as well as a few seconds of pitcher Trey Lang. It’s the 29 seconds of BP footage from Hannemann that will stick with you, though. Sure, it’s only BP, but it has that sound to it. He also is showing off a very calm and smooth swing. There are not a lot of moving parts there. It is getting easier to see why the Cubs considered Hannemann a must-draft.
But if you just put the video on a loop and listened to the sound that bat crack over and over again as you go about your day, I don’t think anyone would blame you a bit.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Iowa scored six runs in the eighth inning to win this one 6-1.
Tennessee – Tennesse picked up three runs in the eighth inning to win 5-1.
Daytona – The Cubs rallied for three in the ninth on their way to a 6-5 win in twelve.
Kane County – Kane County had the day off.
Boise – The game lasted 11 innings, but it ended in a 5-3 Boise loss.
Arizona – It was close until the eighth inning, but when the game was over the AZL Cubs had been blown out 13-3.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Brooks Raley pitched seven innings of shut out baseball, striking out four in the process. Michael Bowden and Brian Schlitter put the game away with an inning of work apiece.
- [Iowa] Despite the six runs, Iowa did not have a lot of offense in this one. Donnie Murphy had the only multi-hit game.
- [Tennessee] Justin Bour is trying to make up for lost time. The slugging first baseman drilled two home runs in this game, including a three run bomb in the eighth to put the game out of reach. Thanks to his time off with injuries he now has just five homers on the season.
- [Tennessee] On the mound, Alberto Cabrera was masterful. He struck out 13 in eight innings of three hit ball, and the only run against him came on a solo home run. Zach Rosscup tossed a hitless ninth to end it.
- [Daytona] Pierce Johnson struck out six in six innings of work for the Cubs. He allowed three runs on six hits and two walks.
- [Daytona] Once the game got to extra innings it was in the hands of Frank Del Valle and Luis Liria. These two combined for three shutout innings in which they allowed one hit, two walks, and struck out four.
- [Daytona] Back to back RBI doubles by John Andreoli and Zeke DeVoss with two outs in the ninth allowed the Cubs to push this game to extra innings. It was the only hit on the day for DeVoss, who also had two walks. Andreoli also singled and walked.
- [Daytona] Wes Darvill, Tim Saunders, and Pin-Chieh Chen all had multi hit games in the lower part of the order. Saunders in particular a had a nice game, finishing two for three with a double and two walks.
- [Boise] Jacob Hannemann doubled twice and finished the game three for six.
- [Boise] Carlos Penalver, two for five, also doubled.
- [Boise] Trey Lang struck out four in a four inning start, but he also gave up two hits and three walks. Corbin Hoffner allowed a single hit and walk while striking out three over the next three innings.
- [Arizona] Third baseman Jordan Hankins hit his first triple in the Cubs loss.
- [Arizona] Center fielder Jeffrey Baez already has three steals after taking second in this game.
- The Iowa offense was remarkably efficient in this win. Their six runs came on just six hits, and only one of those hits went for extra bases. That means, as is usually the case, that there were some walks involved. In this game Iowa walked 4 times against just 4 strike outs.
- Tennessee was even more efficient. They scored their five runs on just four hits and three walks. Four of those five runs were courtesy of Bour’s two bombs.
- Paul Blackburn was named the Northwest League’s Pitcher of the Week for tossing 10 scoreless innings. Blackburn was one of the high upside arms the Cubs took early in the 2012 draft.
More From Bleacher Nation