The US Collegiate National Team played in the home stadium of the Kane County Cougars yesterday, and they are scheduled to be there today as well. Game time today is 1 PM.
If you are interested in seeing some of the players likely to be talked about in future amateur drafts, this would be a good opportunity. The National Team is generally a pretty good collection of players, and this year is no exception. If you followed the College World Series you will probably recognize a few names. There is no guarantee that any of them will turn out to be future Cubs, but you never know.
Having another good excuse to spend an afternoon at the ballpark … any ballpark … isn’t a bad thing either.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa - Iowa is off for the All-Star break.
Tennessee - Tennessee is also off for the All-Star break.
Daytona - Daytona fell behind early and never got caught up. They lost 8-4.
Kane County - Kane County finally picked up a win, and a very rare road win at that. Thanks to a five run burst in the seventh, they won 7-4.
Boise - Boise let things get interesting at the end, but they still won 7-4.
Arizona - A late rally did no good. Arizona lost 8-4.
Performances of Note
- [Daytona] Zeke DeVoss showed off his power game on Monday. His two hits were a home run (his 5th) and a double (his 8th).
- [Daytona] Second baseman Wes Darvill collected his third triple in this one.
- [Kane County] Nathan Dorris and Michael Hamann combined to pitch four scoreless innings at the end of the Cougars’ win.
- [Kane County] Gioskar Amaya, Dan Vogelbach, and Willson Contreras all had three hits for Kane County. Contreras included his fourth triple as part of his day.
- [Kane County] Albert Almora reached three times on a walk and two singles. He had been held hitless in three games prior to that. Over his last ten games, though, he still has a quality OPS of .758.
- [Boise] Corbin Hoffner came into the game after Dillon Maples walked three straight and escaped with none of those runners scoring. He then went on to pitch two more scoreless frames.
- [Boise] Shortstop Carlos Penalver doubled as part of a two hit game. Jose Dore doubled and homered for his two hits. Daniel Lockhart also doubled and finished with two hits.
- [Arizona] Alberto Mineo finished 2 for 4 with two doubles, his first two doubles of the season.
- [Arizona] Kelvin Freeman and Charcer Burks also finished with two hits.
- The Boise roster has been returned to normal. Now that the team is back from Canada Lance Rymel, Trey Masek, Carlos Martinez-Pumarino, Carlos Penalver, and Yasiel Balaguert have gone back to the Hawks’ roster. Joining them is Dillon Maples, who had struggled with his command in Kane County, and 2013 draftee Michael Wagner.