Yesterday was almost a terrible, terrible day. The All-Star break meant there was no real major league baseball.
It also meant there was no Triple A baseball.
Or Double A baseball.
And thanks to off days, there was no baseball for Daytona, Kane County, or Arizona either.
Thank goodness for the Boise Hawks.
Not only was Boise playing last night, the Hawks brought us a very awesome game. Fantastic pitching. Game tied going into the ninth. A rally. And at the end of it Boise was back to .500. All in all it was a game well worth following.
Remember, you can listen to every minor league game for free from the homepage of each of the teams. If you want to listen to Tennessee on Thursday, for instance, just click on Tennessee in the section below at game time and you’ll have a link to the audio feed.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Iowa was off yesterday.
Tennessee – Tennessee also had the day off.
Daytona – Another off day. This was even scheduled and not due to the rains.
Kane County – Kane County didn’t lose! Ok, so they were off as well.
Boise – Three Hawks pitchers combine for the shutout in this 3-0 win.
Arizona – Arizona was (you guessed it) off yesterday.
Performances of Note
- [Boise] James Pugliese struck out 6 in 6 innings of 2 hit ball. Trey Masek struck out 3 and walked 2 in his 2 innings of work, and Matt Iannazzo struck out the side in the ninth for the save.
- [Boise] Daniel Lockhart, Jacob Rogers, and Lance Rymel all had two hits in this win.
- [Boise] The ninth inning RBI double by Carlos Penalver was the only extra base for Boise.
- In a move that should come as a surprise to absolutely no one, Matt Loosen has been named the Florida State League Pitcher of the Week. All he did was pitch sixteen innings of shutout baseball, including a complete game of both the nine inning and the seven inning (part of a double header) varieties. He struck out thirteen in those games, walked just three, and gave up a total of four hits (all in the second game). That is just about as impressive a week as any pitcher in the organization is likely to have this year.
- Shawon Dunston has been having a nice year for Boise, but unfortunately the vast majority of us cannot see it happen since Boise is not hooked up to the minor league video service. Thanks to Mike Safford, though, we do have a little video of Dunston taking batting practice.
- Christian Villanueva will be participating in the Southern League Home Run Derby today.
- Yasiel Balaguert came out of the Hawks game after just a few innings. As of now I am not sure why.
More From Bleacher Nation