The Double A and Triple A All-Star games were yesterday, and Cub prospects did not exactly bring their A games.
Starting with Double A, North starting pitcher Kyle Hendricks gave up two runs on three hits in his one inning of work. Starters Matt Szczur (0 for 2), Arismendy Alcantara (0 for 2), and Christian Villanueva (0 for 3) did not factor into things at the plate. In fact, none of the North team players were a factor at plate. The North was not just shut out, they were one-hit by the South.
Rafael Lopez did not pick up that hit (he finished 0 for 1 after coming as a substitution). He did, however, have the game’s only error.
It isn’t all bad news, though. Alberto Cabrera struck out one in pitching a perfect third inning.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Iowa resumes play today.
Tennessee – Tennessee also resumes play today.
Daytona – Daytona scored in the seventh, eighth, and ninth to force extra innings, but in eleven they were dealt a 4-3 loss.
Kane County – The Cougars rallied briefly in the seventh, but it ultimately didn’t matter. They lost 8-2.
Boise – Boise scored early and late and walked away with a 5-1 win.
Arizona – Arizona kept it close, but lost in the end 5-3.
Performances of Note
- [Daytona] Dustin Geiger finished 3 for 5 with a double. His July OPS (.917 so far) is his highest of the season.
- [Daytona] Catcher Chadd Krist singled twice and walked twice in his three official at bats.
- [Daytona] In addition to his second High-A triple and 2 for 4 day, Pin-Chieh Chen also stole his 9th base for the Cubs. Zeke DeVoss stole his 24th.
- [Kane County] Juan Paniagua struggled a little in his first start with Kane County. Over 2.1 innings he allowed on 3 runs (2 earned) on 2 hits and 4 walks while striking out 2.
- [Kane County] Armando Rivera pitched 2 scoreless innings while giving up 2 hits and striking out 2.
- [Kane County] Catcher Willson Contreras and outfielder Kevin Encarnacion both homered for the Cougars. It was the 7th for Contreras and the Low-A first for Encarnacion.
- [Kane County] Albert Almora had 2 hits in 5 at bats. Gioskar Amaya reached twice on a hit and a walk.
- [Boise] Tyler Skulina allowed a hit and earned a strike out in his 2 innings of work. Loiger Padron pitched 3 scoreless (1 H, 1 BB, 2K). The standout performances, though, came from Eddie Orozco who struck out the side in his inning, and Tyler Bremer struck out 2 and walked 1 in his inning.
- [Boise] After a very slow start to the year, shortstop Carlos Penalver is showing signs of heating up. This 2 for 4 performance was his second multi-hit game of the series.
- [Boise] As a team the Hawks matched their 7 strikeouts with 7 walks. Nice.
- [Arizona] Outfielder Garrett Schlecht tripled (his second) as part of a 2 for 4 game.
- [Arizona] Rehab watch: Josh Vitters finished 0 for 2 with two walks and was playing first base.
- The video is a little low on the resolution scale, but Voice of the Hawks Mike Safford managed to film a few seconds of a bullpen session tossed by lefty Rob Zastryzny. His offspeed pitches are showing some pretty good movement in this clip, but beyond that it is hard to say much.
- [*] So, about that “Last of the All-Star Games” in the title – it is a bit premature. The Northwest League All-Star game takes place August 6. That would actually be the last of them. The Southern League and Triple A games are just the last of those played during the Major League All-Star break.