And then there were two.
By sweeping a doubleheader yesterday, the Daytona Cubs locked up a second half Florida State League North division title and ticket to the playoffs, joining the Tennessee Smokies as a playoff-bound Cubs team. The Cubs have now won eight games in a row, have the best record in the league in the second half, the best record in the league overall, and are featuring a prospect rich pitching rotation and lineup that is going to be tough to beat.
Daytona has had some success in the FSL series in the past. The Cubs High A team won the championship in 1995, 2000, 2004 (co-champion), 2008, and 2011. They are serious contenders for the championship again this year.
Daytona might not be the last Cubs’ farm team to make the postseason, either. Boise is in the middle of a three way race in the Northwest League, and Iowa is still hanging around in Triple A.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Iowa will not go out quietly. They beat first place Omaha yet again by a final of 5-2.
Tennessee – Tennessee had the day off.
Daytona – The FSL North Second Half Champion Daytona Cubs clinched their playoff ticket with this doubleheader sweep. They won the first game 6-2, and took the second by a final of 3-0.
Kane County – The Cougars piled on the runs in this 9-1 blowout win.
Boise – Thanks to this 10-6 win, the Hawks are now in sole possession of first place.
Arizona – The AZL Cubs had the day off. Their season finale is today.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Mike “Multi-Walk” Olt earned 2 more free passes in this one. He has now piled up 7 walks in his last three games.
- [Iowa] Kyle Hendricks gave up 2 runs on 6 hits through 8 innings. He walked one and struck out 4. His Triple A ERA now reads 2.38. This guy has been about as effective as it gets lately.
- [Daytona] Home runs by Dustin Geiger (his 16th) and Kris Bryant (his 4th) were the only extra base hits in the first game.
- [Daytona] Pin-Chieh Chen reached and stole a base in both games and now has 13 steals on the year.
- [Daytona] On the pitching side, C.J. Edwards tossed 4.1 innings in the first game. He was not particularly sharp (2 R, 5 H, 1 BB), but he did strike out 5. Lendy Castillo pitched the last 2.2 innings and allowed just one hit.
- [Daytona] Yao-Lin Wang (4 IP) and Ryan Searle (3 IP) split time on the mound in the second game, and each pitcher allowed just one hit. Wang struck out 3, and Searle fanned 4.
- [Kane County] Jeimer Candelario homered (his 11th), doubled (his 35th), and finished 2 for 4. Carlos Escobar also homered (his 4th).
- [Kane County] Scott Baker allowed just one hit and struck out a pair in his 5 innings of scoreless work.
- [Boise] Home runs were provided to the Hawks by Jacob Rogers (his 8th), Yasiel Balaguert (his 8th), and Justin Marra (his 6th).
- [Boise] Kevin Encarnacion finished 4 for 5 and stole his 9th base. Carlos Penalver double, walked, and also stole his 9th base.
- Not only are four Tennessee Smokies on their way to the AFL this fall, the Smokies are sending their trainer as well.
- Boise beat Salem-Keizer yesterday, and Hillsboro lost as well. That leaves Boise all alone on top of the division by one game. If they win out, they are in the playoffs. All five of Boise’s remaining games are at home: two more against Salem-Keizer, and three against Hillsboro. The Hawks are 11-3 at home in the second half this season.
- Baseball photographer Dylan Heuer has brought us many excellent picture of the Iowa Cubs in action this season. Today he brings us some pictures of the Low A Kane County Cougars. Thanks to these great shots we now know that making funny faces while turning a double play is not just a Triple A thing.
- Dylan Heuer also shot some video of Scott Baker while at the game last night. It’s tough to tell how hard Baker was throwing in this clip, but he was working very quickly.