If you aren’t paying attention to the minor league playoffs this year, you are missing some of the best baseball of the season. The Cubs farm teams haven’t just been winning, they’ve been steamrolling the competition in every aspect of the game. Impressive is breaking out all over the diamond and I really hope you are not missing out on it. You can listen to every one of these games for free over the internet, and they are well worth listening to. If you procrastinate you will miss out. The minor league playoffs move quickly.
Daytona and Boise have now played two games each, and combined they are a perfect 4-0. Both have now won the first round of their playoffs, taken home the title for their respective divisions, and both are now in the Championship Series for their league. The Northwest League and the Florida State League Championships are in reach, and Tennessee hasn’t even gotten their playoffs underway yet.
That changes tonight.
Scores From Yesterday
Tennessee – The Smokies open their playoff series tonight.
Daytona – Daytona took a no-hitter into the ninth and cruised to a dominant 4-0 win.
Boise – Boise took a big early lead and held on to win 11-7.
Performances of Note
- [Daytona] C.J. Edwards turned in yet another great pitching performance. Through 5 innings he allowed no hits, just one walk, and struck out 8. He faced exactly one batter more than the minimum.
- [Daytona] Ryan Searle pitched the last 4 innings, and through 3 of them he kept the no hitter alive. He finished with just 2 hits and one walk allowed while striking out 5 of his own. With pitching like that the offense could almost have taken the day off.
- [Daytona] But once again Kris Bryant came out swinging. He finished this game 3 for 4 with a double, a run scored, and two driven home.
- [Daytona] And he was not alone. Anthony Giansanti finished 2 for 4, Wes Darvill finished 2 for 4 with a double, and Elliot Soto also doubled.
- [Boise] Duane Underwood lasted just over an inning for the Hawks and gave up 3 runs, but Loiger Padron and Corbin Hoffner followed that up with 2.2 innings apiece in which each gave up a single tally.
- [Boise] Kevin Encarnacion doubled, walked, and finished 3 for 5 as he once again hit out of the leadoff slot. Daniel Lockhart, again batting second, finished 3 for 6.
- [Boise] Rony Rodriguez doubled once for the Hawks, and Justin Marra doubled twice to complete their assortment of extra base hits.
- [Boise] Boise was efficient in this one, scoring 11 times on 12 hits. That was helped in part by the 6 walks drawn by the Hawks, and in part by the 5 errors committed by Salem-Keizer.
- Tennessee will be in Birmingham (White Sox system) at 8:05 ET tonight. Nick Struck takes the mound for the Smokies in the series opener, and the Barons answer with Chris Bassitt. Bassitt has beaten the Smokies recently (August 22 to be exact), but on the other hand Struck shut down Birmingham over 5.2 innings on Aug 20. I’m not sure either team as a starting pitching advantage in this game. That puts it on the hitters, and no one in the Southern League can match that Tennessee lineup. This game will be on MiLB.TV. Don’t miss it.
- Daytona was scheduled to play Game Three of their best of three series against Dunedin tonight, but that is no longer necessary. Instead they will head home to play Game One of the Florida State League Championship Series tonight. That will be a best of five game series against the Charlotte Stone Crabs (Tampa Bay system). Game time is about 7 PM ET, and starting pitchers have not yet been announced.
- Boise now heads home for Game One of their best of three Northwest League Championship Series starting Friday night. Games Two and Three (if necessary) will take place in Vancouver (Blue Jays system) starting Sunday. Pitching matchups for Game One have not yet been announced.
More From Bleacher Nation