[It is impossible to seek applications on something like this without the inevitable flood of questions about the implications. So, let me answer those questions here: yes, I am *exploring* expanding BN’s coverage to the Chicago Bears, given the healthy overlap in fandoms, and the general awesomeness of football (in addition to baseball). But no, you will not notice any changes here unless you choose to see them – in other words, for you Cubs-only folks, no need to freak out. Cubs and Bears coverage will be separate, and I will still be writing about the Cubs, exclusively.]
I am frequently asked by Chicago Bears fans where they can find a site like BN to get their Bears fix. Although I do know of a handful of quality Bears-related sites out there – and I’m sure there are a ton – I’ve started to wonder if the answer to that question should simply be, “Well, you can find it right here at BN!”
To that end, I am currently soliciting applications to join Bleacher Nation as a writer covering the Chicago Bears. For the Bears fans and writers among you, this is your opportunity to run your own content vertical, built on the strength of the BN community and platform. That’s a fancy way of saying you get to be THE Bears writer on a site with a large, built-in readership.
You will be able to make the coverage your own, but it should be in the same ballpark as the style and substance you’ve come to know at BN.
You will be expected to write regularly about the goings on of the Bears, including on weekends (because, like, that’s when they play). There is definite upside here for the right person, but I want to make sure you understand before applying that there is also a commitment involved.
This is a part-time position, but it is a paid part-time position. As with most things in life, you will get out of this position what you put into it.
- Strong writing ability. This requirement is listed first intentionally.
- Passionate interest in the NFL and the Chicago Bears.
- Expansive knowledge of Bears history, current team construction, and near-and-long-term prospects for success/failure.
- Knowledge of NFL transaction, roster, draft, and game rules.
- … and the ability to know what you don’t know, and locate appropriate sources for the information you need.
- Basic knowledge of football Xs & Os, and the ability to analyze both game action and the business of football. Readers are looking not only for the news and rumors – they are looking for insight and analysis.
- Ability to responsibly curate, share, and comment upon outside content.
- Knowledge of, and willingness to regularly use, social media, particularly Twitter.
- Ability to commit to regular coverage of the Bears and the NFL year-round, without lapses in writing. Between writing, reading, researching, and keeping up with the community, I would expect the minimum weekly commitment to be in the 10 to 15 hour range (though that could vary considerably based on ability and that whole “get out of it what you put into it” thing). So long as you’re covering what you need to cover, however, it’s not like you’re going to be punching a clock.
- Regular reader of BN.
- Background knowledge of web site operation and maintenance.
- Experience in online sports communities, preferably in managing them.
- Experience writing professionally, which need not necessarily have had anything to do with sports.
- To be discussed, based on qualifications and achievement.
- This position will be subject to a one-month, unpaid probationary period – that’s a fancy way of saying that, for the first month, we’ll be feeling things out, and determining whether a long-term relationship is a good fit for both of us.
- At a minimum, send a statement of interest to brett AT bleachernation DOT com, with the subject line: “Bears Writer Application.” Please also include a sample of writing clips (links to online work is sufficient), and a brief write-up of your thoughts on the outlook for the Bears this season. Feel free to include a resume or any other relevant materials, if you would believe it would help me to make an informed decision.
- After reviewing applications, I will contact certain candidates for follow-up.
- Friday, October 18 at 5pm CT.
More From Bleacher Nation