The cumulative effect of several consecutive late nights and early mornings (thanks MLB activity and children, respectively) is taking its toll. I’m just not a coffee guy. But I think I’m going to have to be soon.
- If you’re looking for an very early preview of the 2014 MLB Draft, you can get it here from MLB.com, which describes the draft as the deepest in recent memory. It’s a good year to be drafting high, I guess – though it would be an even better year to have multiple first round picks. Unfortunately, the Cubs don’t have any qualifying offer free agents walking, and won’t be eligible get any competitive balance picks (unless they trade for them).
- MLB.com also does a lolwaytooearly mock draft for 2014 because people love mock drafts. Jim Callis has the Cubs taking Vanderbilt righty Tyler Beede fourth overall, while Jonathan Mayo has them taking NC State shortstop Trea Turner. Good picks? Go nuts! (And then remember that draft boards will look hilariously different come April and May, save perhaps for the dude at the top – NC State lefty Carlos Rodon – who will stay there unless he gets seriously hurt. Which can happen. Because it’s December 2013, and the Draft is in June 2014. Six months away.)
- Having a Q&A with Kris Bryant was the thing to do this offseason, and The Score did the trick, too.
- The Cubs agreed to terms with lefty reliever Wesley Wright last night, and Wright immediately sent out the love:
the next chapter of my life as a Chicago Cub, look forward to hearing Go Cubs Go all summer long. #Cubs
— Wesley Wright (@realweswright) December 5, 2013
- Why the ridiculous amount of activity already this year, including the explosion of activity on Tuesday? BP surveys various officials, and they’ve all got different theories. It sounds like the influx of new money into the game is playing a major role, emboldening teams to make moves more quickly (because they’ve got the cover of more money).
- Ryan Dempster still works out on the lakefront in Chicago.
- You are reminded to check out the Bears page, where Jay has written recently asked whether Alshon Jeffery is a top 10 wide receiver in the game, wrote about a chat GM Phil Emery had, and even dug deep into some nitty gritty rules stuff. The BN Bears page is new, but Jay is already killing it. Hop on over and support his efforts.
More From Bleacher Nation