This is the year, right? Giggle …
I hope everyone enjoyed a safe and fun New Year’s Eve, and is taking it easy today for the holiday. Every year, I want to have some good food on this day – because I’m sitting at home, mostly relaxing, and that gets me thinking about food – and every year, most places are closed today. I’d complain, but folks at restaurants deserve a holiday, too.
- The best single draft by a team in the last 10 years? Jonathan Mayo says it was the Cardinals in 2009 (grumble). That year’s draft netted the Cardinals Shelby Miller, Trevor Rosenthal, Joe Kelly, Matt Carpenter, AND Matt Adams. Mercy. If you’re looking for a silver lining, it is perhaps the fact that the Cardinals’ scouting director at the time, Jeff Luhnow, is now the GM of the Astros, who are no longer in the NL Central. Maybe one of these last two Cubs drafts will prove to be that impactful long-term.
- If you’re looking to fill some time with humor today, SBNation has a series of GIF posts that are awesome. There are notable baseball plays here, random moments here, funny moments here (including the best ball to the groin I’ve ever seen … I cannot stop laughing … I am 12-years-old), and finally injuries (non-serious) here (featuring a couple Cubs – poor Nate Schierholtz).
- Roy Halladay knows how to do an 80s costume party … as Jamie Moyer.
- Jayson Stark does his annual Strange But True piece for ESPN, which is led off by the hilarious baserunning misadventures of Jean Segura that we all got to see first-hand. From there, you don’t find too many Cubs-related inclusions, but it’s always a fun read.
- FanGraphs’ Dave Cameron doesn’t have a Hall of Fame vote, but, if he did, he discusses what his votes would be.
- If you missed it this morning, note that the commenting changes went into effect today.