The Little Girl was watching ‘Arthur’ this morning (what’s the guy supposed to be, anyway?), and the episode was about a thinly-veiled version of the Boston Red Sox having not won since 1918, and then finally winning (complete with players voiced by Johnny Damon, Mike Timlin and Edgar Renteria) the BumboBall Series, or whatever it was. The show was all about teaching kids not to fear curses or jinxes. It bummed me out the whole time, because I kept thinking: when are the Cubs going to get their ‘Arthur’ episode?
- The Under Armour All-America Baseball Game is coming back to Wrigley Field in 2014, on Saturday, August 16 at 7:05pm CT. (Are the Cubs using one of their night events, or is the UA Game not expected to draw more than 15,000? Events of that size do not count against the night event limit.) Annually, the UA Game brings together some of the top high school prospects in baseball for a showcase that makes scouts and prospect nerds trip over their tongues. If you want an idea who is likely to be among the top high school picks in the 2015 draft, they’ll be at Wrigley for the 2014 UA Game. You can read more about it here.
- The new ballpark in Mesa officially opens today. There’s a big grand opening event from 2pm to 6pm (Arizona time) for folks in the area, and it sounds like it’ll be a hoot.
- Looking at the ZiPS projections for the Angels and drooling at what it would be like to have a 10(!!!) win player. (And also laughing at the 3-win and 2-win projections for Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton. Oops.)
- The Orioles flunked another player based on his physical, backing out of a Major League deal with Tyler Colvin, who has dealt with back issues in the past. If I ever start feeling a touch of the sniffles, I’m going to sign with the Orioles so they can turn over every stone to figure out what’s wrong with me.
- Vine Line with a great write-up on the West Side Grounds, home to the Cubs before they played at Wrigley Field. The center field wall is believed to have been just a short 560 feet from home plate. Bandboxes, man.
- (A couple more posts coming later today. It’s a Saturday blowout!)