Although it’s largely perfunctory, the Chicago Cubs have announced that they agreed to terms with all 19 of their pre-arbitration players on the 40-man roster. Players with between zero and three years of service time (but who have not qualified for Super Two status) are subject to renewal – i.e., if you don’t agree to a contract, the team can just renew you at whatever price they deem fit. Agreeing to a contract is obviously a nicer outcome than renewal, but the outcome is essentially the same. The players have a contract for 2014.
The players signed:
- Right-handed pitchers Jake Arrieta, Dallas Beeler, Alberto Cabrera, Justin Grimm, Blake Parker, Neil Ramirez, Hector Rondon and Arodys Vizcaino
- Left-handed pitchers Zac Rosscup and Chris Rusin
- Catcher Welington Castillo
- Infielders Arismendy Alcantara, Mike Olt, Christian Villanueva and Logan Watkins
- Outfielders Brett Jackson, Junior Lake, Matt Szczur and Josh Vitters
This was expected. You may resume watching that Javier Baez bomb on a loop.