Well that’s a beat down right there. Too bad it’s March and not April.
- Jason Hammel had a bases-loaded inning among his three today, but he didn’t allow any runs. He gave up two hits and allowed three walks, while striking out four. As long as Hammel remains healthy throughout Spring Training, that’s really all I’ll be watching for with him.
- Lefty pitching prospect Eric Jokisch had a highly-effective three innings, allowing three hits, no walks, and striking out four. And that was against a number of the Reds’ regulars. He’ll be in the AAA rotation to start the year, and could be among the second-half options for the Cubs, depending on how he progresses and what happens with the rotation at the deadline.
- Marcus Hatley threw another scoreless inning as he tries to surprise and make the bullpen. He walked one and struck out one. Carlos Pimentel followed with a scoreless (1 BB, 1 H) inning in which he struck out a couple minor leaguers. Neil Ramirez threw a scoreless 9th to finish things out.
- Ryan Kalish had a hit and a walk, and stole another base. Christian Villanueva had a two-run single.
- Mike Olt got four at bats, and netting an infield single. He also struck out twice and had an RBI groundout.
- Nate Schierholtz had a couple hits, including a two-run homer.