The Cubs came back from an 0-2 deficit today to win 3-2 against the Giants in Scottsdale. The win pulled the team up to .500 on the Spring. Mark it down. You may not see it again this year.
- Jeff Samardzija got in his work today, and it was pretty much all you were looking for. He pounded the zone and didn’t walk anyone, while striking out five.
- Alberto Cabrera followed up Samardzija with a scoreless frame, and Chris Rusin took the next three innings, going run-less, hit-less, walk-less and strikeout-less. I guess letting them put the ball in play was the order of the day.
- Jonathan Sanchez was given his second straight save opportunity, and the lefty closed it out with his own run-less, hit-less, walk-less, and strikeout-less inning.
- There’s not a lot noteworthy on the offensive side today, as the Cubs had just seven hits and two walks on the day. All of the hits were singles.
- Mike Olt had one infield single in his three at bats today. Still hard to draw too much from the data we have so far.
- Jorge Soler had a pinch-hit single.
- Matt Cain had his way with the Cubs early, throwing five scoreless innings in which he didn’t give up a hit or a walk, and he struck out seven. Clearly he was on.
More From Bleacher Nation