Happy St. Patty’s Day to you and yours. May the luck of the Irish, like, make you lucky or something. Of course, even if it does, you won’t win that Warren Buffett billion-dollar March Madness challenge.
- You didn’t need a chart to tell you that the Chicago Cubs didn’t spend a whole lot in free agency this offseason, but it’s still interesting to look at the chart over at MLBTR. The $16 million spent by the Cubs this year (most of their available dollars appear to have been held back for Masahiro Tanaka, and, when that didn’t work out, the Cubs decided not to spend just to spend) was not the lowest total in baseball this year: the Reds, Nationals, Blue Jays, and Pirates spent less. The extent to which the Yankees did the Yankees thing is laid bare by the chart, and it’s just unbelievable: the $471 million spent by the Yankees in free agency this year was $203 million more than the next team (Mariners), and was more than five times the amount spent by the fifth place team. Put another way, the Yankees spent 2900% more on free agency than the Cubs this year. Yeah, parity!
- I joke, but it’s better to have “The Boss” mentality back in New York, right? When the Yankees go all mercenary, and just try to buy a playoff contender, it’s easier for everyone else to get on board and hate them. That’s better for baseball.
- Thoughts on and from Chris Rusin, who remains in the running to fill in as the fifth starter when the season begins. Rusin, and bullpen coach Lester Strode, say that the lefty is working on his breaking pitches (curveball, slider) to add to an effective fastball and cutter.
- Speaking of that fifth starter competition (about which, more later), lefty Tsuyoshi Wada is still in the hunt. (Cubs.com)
- Patrick Mooney on Cubs pitching coach Chris Bosio, and some of the storylines that his efforts will touch on this year.
- Javier Baez is putting in his work at second base, where he used to play a long time ago, and he should be getting a start there any day now.
- For those who don’t already, I’ll suggest “liking” BN on Facebook. I do some fun things over there that never make their way onto the site, so it’s worth checking out.