The Venezuelan Summer League, the first of the international rookie leagues to get started, is underway. The VSL Cubs lost their home opener against the VSL Phillies yesterday in a game that saw Luis Ayala (2 for 4) and Jose Gonzalez (2 for 3, triple) both get off a good start.
The VSL will not be part of the Minor League Daily content, but I do keep a fairly close eye on events at that level and will call out performances of note from time to time (usually on Sunday). Those call outs are less likely to show up until the numbers have accumulated enough to have some significance.
Later on this summer the Arizona Rookie League and the Short Season A Boise Hawks of the Northwest League will get underway, and those teams will receive the Daily treatment here. We have a draft to get through before that happens, though.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – A run in the ninth and a run in the tenth set the Cubs up for this 2-1 win.
Tennessee – Despite a five run fourth inning, the Smokies lost 8-6.
Daytona – The Cubs produced 11 hits in this game, but they still lost 11-5.
Kane County – Kane County went down quietly, 6-1.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Tsuyoshi Wada struck out 8 and allowed a run on 6 hits and 3 walks in his 7 innings of work. Marcus Hatley struck out 4 in 2 innings of relief.
- [Iowa] Lars Anderson tied the game with his second home run of the season in the ninth inning.
- [Iowa] And Javier Baez drove in the winning run in the tenth with his first hit since last Wednesday.
- [Tennessee] Rubi Silva homered, his 4th, as part of a 2 for 4 game, and stole his 3rd base. Rafael Lopez hit his 3rd homer.
- [Tennessee] Jeudy Valdez doubled and tripled as part his 2 for 4 game.
- [Daytona] Gioskar Amaya homered (his first), walked, and scored twice.
- [Daytona] Bijan Rademacher and Marco Hernandez both finished 3 for 4. Rademacher doubled and walked as part of his day.
- [Kane County] Jacob Rogers and Will Remillard both doubled.
- [Kane County] Tyler Skulina struck out 7 and walked 3 while giving up 4 runs on 5 hits in his 5 innings of work.
- It may not be much of a positive given their general slide, but Daytona did walk four times against just two strikeouts on Monday.
- The eighth iteration of their 2014 mock draft is up at Through The Fence Baseball, and they have Miami surprising everyone and taking high school shortstop Nick Gordon with the second overall pick. I like the reasoning, though. Since Miami also picks at 36, 39, and 43, they could look to save a little in the second slot to go over slot on some falling players with their supplemental picks. If I ran the Marlins draft, I would be thinking about that plan as well. And since that approach would leave, in this mock draft, Tyler Kolek available for the Cubs, I love that plan for Miami. Except TTFB does not have the Cubs taking Kolek. Instead, the Cubs pick Tyler Beede.If all that of sounded a bit wild, just imagine how things are going to be on the night of the first round. This draft is still very much in the air.