I know that many folks (rightly) went off to do family/vacationy/non-Internetty things this holiday weekend, so I thought it worth giving you a quick rundown of some of the important stuff that happened and/or was discussed this weekend. It turned out to be quite a bit.
Saturday, May 24
- A couple new mock drafts came out, and we discussed the Cubs’ many options at number four in the draft. Things are shifting rapidly with respect to the “clear” top three in the draft.
- Travis Wood had a great all-around game later that day, including driving in a run after an intentional walk (don’t do that, other pitchers).
- Kris Bryant hit yet another homer on Saturday, which led to some great video and discussion of his awesomeness.
Sunday, May 25
- A report came out that the MLB Players Association is concerned about how little the Cubs are spending on payroll, and I reacted with some thoughts.
- Luke reminded folks about some important dates coming up on the amateur/scouting/drafting calendar, which gave me an excuse to post a picture of kittens on a calendar.
- The big one: the Cubs signed/hired Manny Ramirez to be a player-coach for the AAA Iowa Cubs. Seriously. That happened.
Monday, May 26
- Luke discussed the implications of having someone like Ramirez coaching at the minor league level.
- Javier Baez hit a grand slam over the weekend – we watched, enjoyed, and discussed how crazy hot he’s been.
- I let you know about a very cool contest going on this week involving fantasy baseball and surviving. Check it out.
- The Cubs optioned Ryan Kalish to AAA Iowa to make room for Justin Ruggiano, who has returned from his hamstring injury.
- OMG JEFF SAMARDZIJA GOT A WIN!!!