The roster for the Boise Hawks has been announced, and while there are plenty of interesting prospects on that roster to discuss (and who I will discuss in the coming weeks), my eye immediately went to the pitchers.
Erick Leal. Trey Masek. Ryan McNeil. Trevor Clifton. Josh Conway making his Cubs system debut. Those names alone are more than enough to get a Cubs fan excited to see Boise in action, but they are only the tip of the iceberg. The pitching in Boise promises to be one of the bigger stories we follow in the second half of the season.
One name in particular that jumped out at me: Greyfer Eregua. We last saw Eregua, 20, posting a ridiculous 14.00 K/BB ratio over 43 innings in the Venezuelan Summer League. Now he skips the Arizona Rookie League altogether and vaults straight to Boise. That is probably a good sign.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Just another game in the Pacific Coast League as the Cubs won 17-2.
Tennessee – The Smokies took the early lead, but lost it late. Tennessee fell in extras 8-7.
Daytona – The Cubs wasted some good pitching as they lost 2-0.
Kane County – The Cougars overcame three errors to win this one 2-1.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Javier Baez homered for the 9th time, tripled for the second time, and struck out only once.
- [Iowa] Brett Jackson collected a pair of hits, a pair of walks, and no strikeouts at all.
- [Iowa] Christian Villanueva hit his 6th home run, a grand slam, and finished with two hits and a walk.
- [Iowa] And Villanueva was not alone in the grand slam department. Catcher Rafael Lopez hit his first Triple A homer with the bases loaded in the ninth and finished with 7 runs batted in.
- [Iowa] Arismendy Alcantara finished with 3 hits and one strike out.
- [Iowa] Tsuyoshi Wada allowed 8 hits, but gave up just one run and one walk while striking out two over 6 innings.
- [Tennessee] Kris Bryant. 22 home runs. Just click here and watch it again, and again, and again, and again.
- [Tennessee] In addition to that blast, Bryant finished 2 for 5 with a couple strikeouts.
- [Tennessee] P.J. Francescon pitched 1.1 innings in scoreless fashion in relief.
- [Daytona] Willson Contreras and Marco Hernandez each had 2 hits in this one. Contreras doubled and Hernandez tripled.
- [Daytona] Rob Zastryzny has looked much better of late, including in this one. The lefty struck out 9 over 7 innings while allowing 2 runs on 4 hits (including a home run).
- [Daytona] Stephen Perakslis allowed 2 hits in his inning on the mound, but he also earned all his outs via the strikeout.
- [Kane County] Jacob Rogers (a double) and Daniel Lockhart had the only two hits in this one. Jordan Hankins walked and scored.
- [Kane County] Jen-Ho Tseng, returning from a sore shoulder, pitched 3 good innings, allowing a run on 2 hits while striking out 3. Michael Heesch, James Pugliese, and Tyler Bremer combined to complete the game. In total, the Cougars struck out 14 and walked just 2.
- Kris Bryant has been named the Southern League Player of the Week for the second week in a row. Can he get a third?