How about all of those, and more, on the same baseball? Such a baseball, one that has been signed by the members of the 2013 Florida State League Champion Daytona Cubs is up for auction at the MiLB Charity Auction website. As of last night the high bid on that ball was just $10. I suspect that price is going to come up quite a bit before the auction ends in two weeks, but maybe not as much as you think. These minor league auctions can be a good opportunities to score some fairly rare or unusual collectables at a pretty good price.
Like a size 52 Rock Shoulders #99 pink camouflage Daytona Cubs Breast Cancer Awareness jersey. You can also pick up pink camo jerseys for Vogelbach (size 46), Albert Almora (size 44), Arodys Vizcaino (size 50) and more. The Almora jersey is already up to $180, but most of the rest of these items are still at the minimum bid of $80. These auctions will run for another eleven weeks.
If you do bid and win on one of these fine items, be sure to put pictures of you sporting your new gear up on Twitter, Facebook, or load them up in the comments to an article. And if you are modeling both a Bleacher Nation shirt AND a pink camo Daytona jersey, that would be even better.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa - A day after a double grand slug fest, Iowa lost by a more normal score of 3-2.
Tennessee - The Smokies were traveling yesterday.
Daytona - Daytona fell behind early and never got back into the game. They lost 11-4.
Kane County - This game was postponed by rain.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Kyle Hendricks gave up 3 runs, but he did it on just 5 hits (including a homer) over 7 innings. He struck out 6 and walked none.
- [Iowa] Arismendy Alcantara hit his 9th(!) triple of the season and finished 2 for 5.
- [Iowa] Javier Baez finished 0 for 5 with 3 strikeouts. The good news, though, is that he stayed in the game after hitting a foul ball off his own face.
- [Daytona] Felix Pena has been so good this year that even after giving up 9 runs on 10 hits and a walk over 4 innings, his ERA is still just 2.59.
- [Daytona] Marco Hernandez and Rock Shoulders both finished with 2 hits. Shoulders’ day included his 10th double.
- [Daytona] Chadd Krist hit his first High A homer of the season in the third inning of this one.
- Cubs fans may be nervous about the slow start and sporadic struggles from Baez this year, but judging from the commentary provided by the Fresno radio voice on MiLB.TV lately, the rest of the league is nervous about Baez for an entirely different reason. The language used to describe Baez didn’t refer to strikeouts or slumps, but included words like ‘dangerous’, ‘monster’, ‘great’, and ‘the guy the Cubs want at the plate.’ Regardless of the results so far, and regardless of the perception within Cubdom, it sounds like Baez is still being very well respected as a player and as prospect in at least some places around the league. As he should be. He remains, even now, despite his struggles, one of the best offensive prospects in all of minor league baseball.
- I will be in Iowa on Friday, June 20, and that means I will be missing Princess Night in Kane County. For a fairly attractive price kids can meet the Princess from Frozen, participate in a parade, get a special tiara, and watch post game fireworks on the field. And their parents can watch a very good, prospect laden Kane County team. Everyone wins! If any of you are in the area and looking for an edge in the Parent of the Year rankings, this might be your chance. Kane County tickets tend to sell well, though, so you may want to reserve those seats soon.