In case you stepped away this weekend, here’s what you may have missed in the Cubs’ world …
Friday, June 20
- There were a couple mid-day pieces that you might still have been around for, but I’ll include them here anyway: a set of a prospect notes on a handful of guys you don’t hear as much about, and the latest from Lukewarm Stove, including thoughts on trading Luis Valbuena.
- Later in the day, Theo Epstein indicated that there’s pretty much zero chance that Kris Bryant sees big league action this year.
- The Cubs beat the Pirates 6-3 to kick of this weekend’s series Friday night, but it was to be their only win in the set.
Saturday, June 21
- Luke discussed his first day in Iowa taking in the Cubs, meeting up with other BN’ers, and swooning over Des Moines.
- The Cubs, for a brief moment in time, were the best team in the National League over the past month.
- Theo Epstein spoke about a wide range of topics, including when Manny Ramirez will get to Iowa (next week), what the organization thinks about Albert Almora (not worried), and the plan for Kyle Schwarber’s defensive position (mostly outfield, but evaluating catching decision after season).
- I wonder about a scenario in which it actually could make some sense for the Cubs to pursue a David Price trade.
Sunday, June 22
- Luke wrapped up his Iowa odyssey with another good day in Des Moines.
- Jorge Soler isn’t back at AA Tennessee yet, but he is finally playing in games.
- The Cubs activated Welington Castillo from the DL, and DFA’d Eli Whiteside in the process.
- The Cubs added lefty starter Tsuyoshi Wada to the 40-man roster for safe keeping, though he’ll continue to pitch at AAA Iowa for now.
More From Bleacher Nation