All Star Weekend should be a good time to be a Cubs fan. Not only will the Cubs have one portion of their future on display during in the form of Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo, they will have also have the next wave of the future on display in the Futures Game.
Javier Baez will be slugging for the World Team, and Kris Bryant will be slugging for the United States Team. Those two being in the game creates the possibility that the best power display this weekend won’t come from the Home Run Derby, but from Baez and Bryant playing “any ball you can hit, I can hit farther” during the Futures Game.
In addition to Baez and Bryant, there are plenty of other notable prospects on those rosters. The US roster features at least three pitchers who have been vaguely linked to the Cubs in various trade rumors in the past, for example, in Hunter Harvey, Daniel Norris, and Noah Syndergaard. The World team includes Francisco Lindor, probably the best minor league shortstop outside of the Cubs system. All in all, it should be a good game.
The Futures Game starts at 4 PM Central Time on Sunday.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa - There were a few bright spots in this 7-1 loss.
Tennessee - A ninth inning rally fell short as the Smokies lost 6-5.
Daytona - Daytona gave up five in the fourth on their way to a 7-4 loss.
Kane County - Kane County never trailed in this 9-5 win.
Boise Hawks – Boise stumbled in their quest for first place, losing to Hillsboro 9-3.
Arizona – The AZL Cubs had the day off.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] The highlight of the Iowa game was Kris Bryant’s 9th home run. He also walked and struck out once.
- [Iowa] Rafael Lopez had a very nice game, finishing 4 for 4.
- [Tennessee] Jorge Soler hit his third home run and drew another walk in this 2 for 4 showing.
- [Tennessee] Addison Russell broke out of his hitless streak with a 2 for 5 game.
- [Daytona] Bijan Rademacher doubled twice and finished 2 for 4. Marco Hernandez doubled once as part of his 3 hit game.
- [Daytona] Michael Jensen (3 IP, 3 K) and Zack Godley (1 IP, 1 BB, 1 K) both pitched well in relief.
- [Kane County] Jacob Hannemann returned to the lineup and doubled on his way to a 2 for 5 game.
- [Kane County] Jeimer Candelario hit his first Kane County home run and also doubled twice as he finished 3 for 4. Ben Carhart also had 3 hits.
- [Kane County] Juan Paniagua lasted 5.2 innings and struck out 5, but he also allowed 2 runs on 6 hits and 3 walks.
- [Boise] Jeffrey Baez had another good game, finishing 2 for 4 with walk. He did strike out twice, however.
- [Boise] Mark Zagunis, catching in this one, finished 2 for 4 with a walk. Alex Tomasovich also had 2 hits, including a double.
- Kane County does a number of promotions in which they shift holidays around on the calendar, and one of those is Christmas in July. That game will be tomorrow, July 11, and includes a toy drive in conjunction with Giftmart. If you are still looking for weekend plans, this could be a good time to travel out and watch the Cougars.
- Apologies for the lack of player name links in this article. The automatic linking script I use to add those links to Baseball Reference was not working for me this morning, and I haven’t had a chance to figure out why yet. Hopefully the regular linking should be back to normal next week.