It was another busy weekend around these parts, and here’s a heads up on what you may have missed …
Friday, July 25
- In the afternoon, I updated the Wrigley renovation latest, which was mostly a there-is-no-update-but-here’s-why-that’s-an-update kind of thing.
- Sahadev Sharma reported that the Cubs would have a significant contingent of folks taking in free agent outfielder Rusney Castillo’s workout the following day in Miami.
- The latest from the Lukewarm Stove was a menagerie of rumors.
- The Cubs beat the Cardinals in a wild one, which was a lot of fun. The big league games weren’t fun the rest of the weekend, so relive this one.
Saturday, July 26
- There was a pretty significant change in the Hall of Fame voting procedures.
- The Cardinals married up with A.J. Pierzynski, because of course they did.
- Addison Russell homered twice, which was totally groovy.
- The Giants picked up Jake Peavy from the Red Sox for a couple pitching prospects.
- In a surprising move, the Cubs sent top reliever Neil Ramirez to Iowa and replaced him with Blake Parker. It was just about giving Ramirez a breather.
Sunday, July 27
- We talked about Jake Arrieta’s “bad” outing, which was actually fantastic, and says very good things about his future.
- Russell homered again, and Javier Baez joined him twice over.
- Luke wrote about something unprecedented happening in the Cubs’ minor league system.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo’s workout went well, according to third parties, and just about every team was there to watch.