Things are happening …
- Andrew Miller is the to lefty reliever on the market. He’s being heavily connected to the Tigers and Braves, and David O’Brien says this:
— David O'Brien (@DOBrienAJC) July 31, 2014
- The implication there is that if Miller does not go to the Braves, they may scoop up James Russell.
- The Brewers have traded for outfielder Gerardo Parra, sending decent outfield prospect Mitch Haniger and left-handed pitcher Anthony Banda to the Diamondbacks. Parra is arbitration-eligible one more time after this season, so the Brewers will have him for another year. It’s a nice get for them and their window, which could easily extend through next year. Grumble.
- Will the Parra acquisition lead to more movement in the Central? Or is that the Brewers responding to the Cardinals’ many moves?
- Speaking of the Central, seems like the market can no longer bear this:
Not only are #Reds not buying. Other teams say they've dangled Mat Latos. Looking for big return of course
— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) July 31, 2014
- Latos would command a big haul, and with so little time left and David Price on the move, it would be hard to put something together. If the Reds wanted to sell, they should have started a week ago. And they should have.
- Jon Heyman says the Mariners are getting Chris Denorfia. He’s a nice complementary outfielder (at least he has been in the past), but I’ll be a touch salty if he netted the Padres anything too notable.
- (1:52) – Jon Morosi reports that the Tigers were close to a deal for Miller, but that’s fallen through. That could bring the Braves into the picture, or it could just completely muck up the reliever trade market.
- (2:00) – Ken Rosenthal says Miller isn’t going to the Braves, either. So …
- (2:00) – Whoa! Paul Hoynes reporting that the Indians have traded infielder Asdrubal Cabrera, with more on the way. That could have been your Bonifacio hold-up right there, as teams would probably prefer to get Cabrera if possible.
- (2:03) – Holy smokes this is moving fast now. Cabrera is headed to the Nationals, per Tim Kurkjian. That’s good, because they weren’t in on Bonifacio.
- (2:03) – Andrew Miller is going to the Orioles, per Jerry Crasnick. Keep in mind, there are tons of lefty reliever options out there, but there are also quite a few teams (other than the O’s) who want one. Stuff could start going in that area now.
- (2:06) – Good Lord, the return on a rental lefty reliever – Miller, obviously an extremely good one – is Orioles pitching prospect Eduardo Rodriguez. Down year? Yes. But he was a top 75 prospect in all of baseball coming into the year.
- (2:44) – Stephen Drew may be headed in a trade to the Yankees. Sell All The Red Sox. And, as I type, yup, it’s happening. Oh, and it’s for Kelly Johnson. The Red Sox don’t want any prospects today.
- (3:10) – Sounds like the Astros have traded Jared Cosart. Hugs.
- (3:11) – And the Yankees are getting Martin Prado, presumably for a song, because Diamondbacks.
More From Bleacher Nation