You don’t expect the first week of August to be as jam-packed with activity as last week was, and you don’t expect it to spill over into the weekend like it did. But it did. And you may have missed it by having fun or some such thing.
Among the highlights …
Friday, August 8
- After a couple days of expectation, the Cubs finally acquired pitcher Jacob Turner from the Marlins.
- The Cubs did not, however, end up acquiring Cole Hamels. But the whole dance said some interesting things about the Cubs.
- To make room for Turner on the 40-man roster, the Cubs designated Ryan Kalish for assignment.
Saturday, August 9
- We discussed Jorge Soler’s hot stretch in Iowa, and the possibility of a call-up sooner rather than later.
- Tsuyoshi Wada continues to impress, relatively speaking.
- The two LA teams are (were?) looking for pitchers, and we talked about the Cubs’ possible options for them.
- The reactions to, and quotes about, the Jacob Turner trade.
Sunday, August 10
- Luke offered the argument in favor of calling up Kris Bryant this year.
- We’re seeing about what we expect from Javier Baez, and that’s a fine thing.
- The Cubs made a series of roster moves to accommodate the addition of Turner and the activation of Neil Ramirez from the disabled list.
- The Cubs beat the Rays in an exciting, extra-innings walk-off.
More From Bleacher Nation