The Iowa Cubs are at risk of sliding right out of the postseason conversation. After spending much of the year in or near first, Iowa has now lost four in a row and dropped to third place, three games back of Omaha. If it were mid-July that deficit would not be a problem, but it is mid-August and time is fast running out on the minor league season.
The real problem here is that the Cubs are going to have to right the ship and mount their comeback on a Western road trip against two pretty good teams. That is going to be every bit as tough as it sounds.
A possible silver lining here is that, should the Iowa Cubs fall out of contention, the Chicago Cubs could decide to bring 40 man rostered prospects like Jorge Soler and Arodys Vizcaino to Chicago as soon as rosters expand on September 1 (if not sooner). The down side, of course, is that if Iowa doesn’t the make the playoffs then there is no chance of seeing any post season game winning bombs from Bryant and friends.
At least, not this year.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Iowa’s slide continues with this 7-5 loss.
Tennessee – The Smokies blew it open late and surged to a 7-1 win.
Daytona – Chalk up another win for the rain. This game was postponed.
Kane County – The Cougars hit 81 wins for the season with this 2-1 final in ten.
Boise Hawks – The Hawks opened an early lead, but could not withstand the Salem-Keizer comeback. They lost 7-3.
Arizona – The Cubs lost this one 4-1.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Ryan Kalish finished 3 for 4 with a strikeout. Rafael Lopez finished with 2 hits.
- [Iowa] Logan Watkins also had 2 hits, but both of his were doubles. He also stole his 23rd base.
- [Iowa] Jorge Soler walked and finished the night hitless. Kris Bryant walked in a pinch hit appearance.
- [Tennessee] Addison Russell launched his 9th Smokies homer, doubled, and finished with 2 hits.
- [Tennessee] Albert Almora doubled and finished with 2 hits. It was his second multi-hit game in a row.
- [Tennessee] Christian Villanueva doubled twice and also finished with 2 hits. Lars Anderson and Charles Cutler are likewise members of the 2 hit club.
- [Tennessee] Corey Black gave up a run on 6 hits and 2 walks over 5 innings. He struck out 4.
- [Kane County] Shawon Dunston finished 2 for 3, walked, and threw a man out at home. He also drove in the winning run in the bottom of the tenth. Not a bad night.
- [Kane County] Jacob Rogers had 2 hits.
- [Kane County] Jen-Ho Tseng allowed a run (a solo homer, actually) on 4 hits while striking out 5 over 6 innings.
- [Kane County] Michael Heesch struck out 4 and walked 2 in his 2.1 innings of scoreless relief.
- [Boise] Charcer Burks tripled and finished with 3 hits.
- [Boise] Kevin Brown homered again, his 3rd of the year.
- [Arizona] Eloy Jimenez singled and struck out twice.
- [Arizona] Adonis Paula doubled and finished 2 for 4.
- Don’t forget that Kane County playoff tickets for the Thursday, September 4 home game are already on sale. If you are in the area and want an early taste of postseason baseball, get your tickets while tickets are still there to be gotten.
- Maybe the best part of Shawon Dunston’s big day? His dad was there to see it.