strong>Addison Russell has now homered in three straight games. He is third on the 2014 Smokies in home runs with ten (eleven total for the year), and nineteenth in the league. Everyone in the Southern League with more homers than Russell has played at least eighty games this year (with one exception). Russell has played in forty.
That one exception, of course, is Kris Bryant. Bryant is still number two in the league despite having left it quite some time ago.
If fact, Bryant’s Tennessee campaign is just one of two (soon to be three) cases this summer in which a Cubs prospect hit at least twenty home runs at a given level: Javier Baez (AAA) with twenty three, and Bryant (AA) with twenty two. Very soon we will be able to add Bryant (AAA) to that list. His home run last night was his nineteenth for Iowa.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Iowa led until the sixth inning, but ultimately lost 11-4.
Tennessee – There was no ninth inning collapse in this one as the Smokies won 4-1.
Daytona – Daytona had no answer for a big fifth inning in this 7-3 loss.
Kane County – Kane County put the game away with a big rally in the bottom of the eighth as they won 7-3.
Boise Hawks – The Hawks never trailed in this 4-1 win.
Arizona – Arizona had the day off.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Kris Bryant‘s 19th Iowa homer came in the third with a man on. Bryant finished with 2 hits and a walk.
- [Iowa] Eric Jokisch did not have a good end to his day on the mound, but at the plate he finished 2 for 3. Ryan Kalish also had 2 hits.
- [Iowa] Catcher Rafael Lopez walked and tripled (his first).
- [Tennessee] Addison Russell hit his 11th Double A homer and finished 2 for 4.
- [Tennessee] Albert Almora‘s hot streak continued with another 2 hit game.
- [Tennessee] Pierce Johnson threw 83 pitches over 5 innings. He allowed a run on 5 hits and 4 walks while striking out 5.
- [Daytona] Bijan Rademacher hit his 6th triple to highlight his 2 for 4 game. Marco Hernandez also had 2 hits.
- [Daytona] Kyle Schwarber doubled and struck out in four at bats.
- [Kane County] Jeffrey Baez homered (his 4th), stole a base (his 2nd), and finished with 2 hits.
- [Kane County] Mark Zagunis had the only other extra base hit, a double.
- [Kane County] Duane Underwood struggled to keep the ball on the ground, but he allowed just one homer. His final line reads 5 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 4 K.
- [Boise] Jake Stinnett made his first Boise start in this one. Over 2.2 innings he allowed nothing but a walk while striking out 4.
- [Boise] Bryan Flete and Mark Malave each doubled and finished with 2 hits.
- Kane County has now won ten games in a row. As a result, and because Cedar Rapids finally lost yesterday, their lead is at two games.